Default Beginner to improver equipment

I have recently begun windsurfing, doing the intro course at Hove and looking to do some intermediate courses in the next few weeks. My plan is to do some winter practice over the next few months on some cheaper second hand equipment to get my feet and then buy something more advanced next summer.

What equipment would you recommend to a beginner wanting to improve over the winter, surfing 2-3 times a week. I'm not precious on brand or it being really new, just something decent value which is going to suit me for a few months before I upgrade next year?

Thanks all

Glad your getting into the sport, but well need a bit more information. How much do you weigh, what are you currently sailing and what can you do I.e happy tacking, using a harness, getting into foot straps, starting to plane will allow a more constructive response.

That said 140-150 litre freeride board is probably in the right ballpark. I'd recommend not buying until your happy tacking, useing a harness and getting into the straps and beginning to plane. Prior to those points the progression will be pretty quick and you'll grow out of kit fast.

Hi TallJames, thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I'm 6' tall and approx. 95kg. I am very new to this so not using harness or planing yet. I'm also based in Brighton so looking to surf on the sea in the areas around here. I don't mind about progressing out of kit as long as it sees me through to the new year and to be honest, just happy to get out on the sea and have fun, not looking to progress too quickly.

I was given an F2 Comet Slalom, but after asking whether its suitable on here (to an unequivocal response of "NO") I am looking around for some kit.

Is it possible where you are to hire some kit whilst everywhere’s still open for summer to get a taste of different board and sail sizes before committing to buying something? Most places near me hire until the end of September. I’m a beginner and have found hiring a great way to progress. Like you I’m trying to work out what to buy so I can continue beyond September, but hiring stuff has been great to help me make that decision.

Hi animalmother90, welcome to the forum.

I see many beginners get their RYA L1 (2 full days of theory and sailing) at the venue that I sail. They use Starboard Rio - Large (daggerboards) and Tushingham Concept 4.5m & 5.5m rigs which they continue to hire for several months (once per week). They then progress to <165L Starboard Go's. Hiring kit at this early stage is a good idea as when you are more advanced - (planing and in the harness), you can they buy yourself some good kit.

Decent quality beginner kit is relatively expensive and quickly outgrown.