Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

High wind board - what to get?

Hi All,

I think it's time I got myself a step down board for high winds. I currently use a 104l mistral synchro ('05?) which I like. I've used modern JP and Fanatic FSWs around 100l and found them to be fine, but not worth upgrading to from my older Synchro really - maybe that opinion will change as my sailing improves.

But when it gets below 5.0 weather I really need something that will be a bit easier to sail in more confused seas.

I don't want to spend that much really, as we've got our first baby on the way and my wallet is taking a battering from all the stuff we've got to get.

The synchro is 62cm wide, so I was thinking of getting something around 58-60cms wide? I'm about 89 kgs. There's a mistral score 88 litre fsw going cheap, which is 58cm wide, 255cm long. is that any good?

A friend has an old fanatic Cross 90 litre for sale, that's 55cm wide and 255cm long. But is quite old, so I think I will avoid that one.

Is it a bad idea getting this older stuff, or are more modern boards really worth thinking about. I'm not in a rush to get something, just would like some idea what people recommend. Do most go for a smaller FSW, or a proper waveboard, extra fins and all?

I'll be using it at the coast, probably places like hayling and the solent.

thanks
    '15: 17
    '16: 8

Wanted:

5.4 Naish Boxer
    7.5 - 7.8m NP or Tushingham Sail

In those conditions, I'd avoid a quad personally- save them for proper wave-riders.

I bought an 86L quad board for nuking winds, in retrospect I would buy an FSW if funds allowed, ideally a tri-fin. The quad just didn't feel right for coastal mush bothering to me. I chipped in to get some cash together for the Kona and other toys.

You know the board some of us on here (and via email) would suggest Ross as 'best of breed'.... you are welcome to try mine anytime, although bear in mind you could possibly drop down to the 90 or 95L version if it's for sub 5.0m wind.

I'd also look at the Freewave TE 96 - as a trifin set up they are supposed to be amazing.

I wouldn't rule out a single-fin FSW either, if the price is right.
    hostis humani generis

Maybe keep an eye open for a Syncro 91 if you like the 104? Saw one sell locally for 50 (my old board infact). They were a really nice controllable board. I'd stay away from the Cross as they were a bit freeridey, but those Syncros were great all rounders in high wind. Brilliant budget kit IMHO.
    Can't jump, won't jump.

I have a 2005 Starboard Evo 92, which is a good high wind board. I mainly sail slalom on very modern kit, however, the Evo is pretty nice on waves when it is windy - It is about 235cm X 60cm, I paid 75 for mine a couple of years ago (but it was a bit tatty)

Gents, thanks for the comments and suggestions. Yeah a smaller synchro (91) or something similar (single fin FSW) may be the thing to go for. But I wasn't sure that was a step down enough in terms of width/volume? But reading what others my weight seem to use, it appears to be more common than I thought.

Can I ask how much difference would I notice going out on a 104l/62cm wide and then getting on a 90l/60cm wide in strong winds? I suppose which board it was would make quite a difference. But to the layman windsurfer (i.e. me!) that difference in width/volume doesn't seem to be a huge amount?

The one you mention Jimmy, yeah I would love a go on that, thanks for the offer. Everyone that has one (and there seem to be a growing number) seem to like them a lot.

The Evo always seems to get good reviews as well, so I'll keep that one in mind (and at 75 sounds like you can get a bargain!). What's the idea behind the freewave tri-fin? That you can set it up to have a smaller main fin, so that you get less lift, so it's easier to control in high winds?
    '15: 17
    '16: 8

Wanted:

5.4 Naish Boxer
    7.5 - 7.8m NP or Tushingham Sail

You might find that the Evos sail a bit 'larger' than their quoted weight, and are quite forgiving, so you could potentially go for a smaller one, with a bigger gap between it and your Syncro than with other single fin wave-oriented boards.

I find the overlap between my 85 Chakra (there, I've gone and said it now ) and 75 Evo is too great, with the Evo barely getting used these days, and ending up feeling too big when it does get out with a 3.7 or 3.3 on it. I could probably get away with a 70 litre Evo, for example, so you might find you could make the gap 15 or 20 litres for an Evo, whereas you might not get away with that on a different FSW.

I had the 104 Syncro and partnered it with a WaveCult76 and then switched that for a usurf84. At 80kg, I found the spacing fine and suspect that a 90lt+ board would just be too close to the Syncro, but as you're a bit heavier and want this as a first step down, a 90lt might be about right.
    Trying not to work too hard.