Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thanks very much for the information above. 'Boredatwork' I know from other sports that it’s very easy to make bad decisions regarding buying kit etc. in the beginning which is why these kinds of forums are so useful. As I am appreciating more and more getting to at least an intermediate level is going to mean a big (but enjoyable) commitment in terms of time and to some extent money. To know this from the beginning is a good way to start I hope. I’d be really interested to know what level you’ve got to after five months and how much time you are spending to do it?

I am sure this is the wrong forum to ask! (and please don’t flame me down), but a niggling thought I have in my head is whether windsurfing is the right choice given my situation (busy life, three young kids, not living too close to the coast etc. meaning I can probably only commit a few hours per week.) I love the sport from my experience to date but from what I have read kitesurfing can be learnt to a reasonable level much quicker (but then once there it is much more limited than windsurfing). I guess what I am wondering is whether anyone has any experience of both sports and could advise taking into account the constraints I have mentioned above. I think the doubt stems from my experience of skiing which I chose to pursue over snow boarding, and even though I have had some amazing fun learning to ski and can now do so at an intermediate level, I know I’ll never get to be very good because of the limited ski time I get whereas I know I would have got to a higher standard at snow boarding in the same time. I hope that makes sense!! Any thoughts appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by diamond007 View Post
    Thanks very much for the information above. 'Boredatwork' I know from other sports that itís very easy to make bad decisions regarding buying kit etc. in the beginning which is why these kinds of forums are so useful. As I am appreciating more and more getting to at least an intermediate level is going to mean a big (but enjoyable) commitment in terms of time and to some extent money. To know this from the beginning is a good way to start I hope.
    I guess much of it depends on what you want out of the sport. Personally, I like learning the whole time, so will want to progress (as I have done in other sports to varying degrees - I'm just like that, I enjoy learning and getting better), but I know some people who hire with me and have been using the same kit for years, just enjoying sailing around, which is obviously much cheaper for them if they buy their own stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by diamond007 View Post
    Iíd be really interested to know what level youíve got to after five months and how much time you are spending to do it?
    I've averaged about two hours a week. In five months of that I've gone from complete beginner with a 200+ litre board and a 3.0m sail to a 155L daggerless shortboard and 4.5m sail (that's with my weight of 67kg and winds of around 10-15 knots). I can now sail around where I choose, upwind and downwind, and do reasonably quick tacks and gybes consistently up to about a 10 knot wind, but in stronger winds (10-20 knots) I'm still working on gybing consistently. I've no idea if that's below average or average etc - I'm really not bothered as I'm really enjoying it and given my past just amazed I'm out there on the water at all. I say that because I originally had quite a bad fear of water (yeah, ok - very bad!), which has taken years to get over, so I probably haven't been learning with as much confidence as most people. The hire places close soon, so I plan to buy my own stuff and continue through autumn and into winter as far as I can, and then when the schools open next year do an intermediate course to learn to use a harness, waterstart etc. It's all confidence limited for me though - I think most people where I hire who are at my stage of board and sail have done their intermediate course already.

Thanks again Boredatwork for the advice