Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

UK windsurfing weather from August 27th

Bank Holiday weekends always muck up the flow of the weather threads but no matter, let's start a late mid week one, to cover the rest of this month.

It's still August right, but where did summer go?
    The recent Bank Holiday Monday was just logged as the coldest on record.

But we have some wind on the way, for the next few days at least. It's the last week of school holidays for some so I'm sorry to report there is more rain to come.

It'll be Wednesday by the time you read this, and that's where we are starting here.

Let's chuck in this Windguru selection first, as it shows potential wind most days, for the rest of the month:
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=1150

As you can see, Wednesday is a port tack day for the south coast, probably best in the west.
    I'm no good at Cornwall spots, but you might try this one:
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=47877
    As that shows, you also get afternoon rain there.

The best wind may in fact be for Irish Sea coast beaches but you'll have to find a launch spot that works with the difficult SE direction.

In the Southeast we also get a bit of port tack wind on Wednesday, but I think it'll be big kit weather.

Then all eyes are on Thursday to Friday as a new low forms.
    Check out these Met Office charts for the best isobar squeeze.

http://www.metbrief.com/EGRR.html

Lots of rain late on Wednesday and this clears to leave lighter winds on Thursday, but we might still find some marginal wind.

But the low deepens out west and moves a bit closer for Friday.
    The wind will be best in the west on Friday but there should be something for many areas including the south coast.

Saturday is then up for grabs, wind-wise there is further wind about but this is complicated by an approaching cold front which sits along the south coast.

So we'll look at the weekend wind again.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Looks like I'll be heading to Studland Bay. No shorebreak/side current like you get at Sandbanks/Branksome. The forecast is ESE so that's perfect for launching at Knowle Beach car park and grooveriding up the beach to the harbour entrance. Hopefully the high tide will mean the easterly swell gets over the top of Hooksands sandbar which runs to the east of the main shipping channel out of the harbour. The tide doesn't go out for the last time until 15:30 today.

http://www.windsurf.co.uk/beach-guide/studland-bay/

I fancy a road trip thursday/friday, but am struggling to think of anywhere that might be better than the SE! I always keep an eye on Cornwall, but tomorrow looks marginal and small, then friday looks WSW which is not a good direction for there, being onshore on beaches that can make the most of the swell.

Anyone got any good suggestions? To be worthwhile it needs waves and sideshore to side-off winds since waves and side-on winds will be on offer at home so there's not much point in travelling!

If I stay home then I'll probably head to camber since tides are rubbish most fo the day at hove. Hopefully there will be some company??
    Going to interviews, hence wind is back. In case you were wondering...

FOR SALE:
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. 80

PM me for more details/pics.

Just a quick note about today.
    The wind has come round side shore here (veering from NE to E) and there are plenty of white horses.

Worthing has logged a 20mph gust but I'm not sure it's that strong here.
    Enough for big kit though.
    The tide is rising – which means a helpful current with an easterly.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Interesting that there is disagreement on tomorrows wind strengths between bbc and met-o on current forecast. e.g. bbc has a breif 15mph peak for Camber, which could just be enough on the water but is pretty marginal. Windguru has 15-18knts, which is normally solid 5m weather. Other SE coast forecasts are similar. It'll be interesting to see what windguru says after the lunch-time update...
    Going to interviews, hence wind is back. In case you were wondering...

FOR SALE:
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. 80

PM me for more details/pics.

The volatility of the Thursday forecast is due to the autumnal rain bands coming through.

It tips down tonight and then the wind drops as that clears.

But for Thursday, there is a cold front crossing west to east, so that will probably bring temporary wind.

I guess that's a 'wait and see' forecast, at this stage.

heading to Mounts Bay later today for a late afternoon / sunset sail- need to get some practice in before the big weekend.... thanks for the recommendation LB.

I also have a pass for Sunday afternoon- I guess Hayling would be a good idea depending on forecast. I could stand on the balcony of the Inn on the Beach and peruse the race area- just like Nick Dempsey on Sugarloaf.
    Last edited by Jimmy Grooverider; 27th August 2014 at 10:28 AM.
    hostis humani generis