Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thanks for the responses.

The 6.5 set on a 430 (with 30 to 33cm extension) looks extreme. Hence, the question.....I thought that it might have been a typo.

Today is probably the first time I have put the 5.5 Bolt to test in more extreme conditions both in terms of water state and wind. I am left very impressed. The wind today peaked at an average of 27knots with gusts to 35knots with some very big swell. In those conditions I would normally be on a 5m or 4.7. The Bolt 5.5 was however totally controllable even in those gusts...provided I had the strength to hold onto it! In other words the sail did not go crazy, it just became very powerful. Looking at the rigging settings, the sail is marked as 436 luff/176 outhaul. I am using the white carbon 75 430 mast which is probably 2013 and had the North XT extension ( original) on 6cm, and downhauled to max. Outhaul was 176.5 left loose by about 1 cm. So by my reckoning the sail settings on the bag are right as max settings. ( the adjustable head is as close to the top of the luff tube as I can get it). Perhaps the only negative I found....keeping in mind the wind was pretty extreme for this size of sail......was that the sail did not depower as quickly or completely as I remember the Storm doing, for example, in a gybe where you enter needing to dump power.

Anyone moving from a Storm to the Bolt is going to find the way the sail set completely alien. The Storm sets flat but with the battens above and below the boom part way behind the mast. The Bolt however uses a loose luff tube to enable the front of the sail to develop shape and the battens sit clear of the mast ( on max downhaul). There is shape pre cut into the sail below the boom and some shape remains even quite high up the luff sleeve. My outhaul setting was about neutral plus 2cm. Reducing outhaul by 1cm ( without changing downhaul) results in significant additional power. In fact the Bolt sets in a very similar manner to my North E Type sails except with quite a bit less twist/loose leech.

Where was this?

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    Perhaps the only negative I found....keeping in mind the wind was pretty extreme for this size of sail......was that the sail did not depower as quickly or completely as I remember the Storm doing, for example, in a gybe where you enter needing to dump power.
    You were using a sail too large for the wind strength, so it's unfair to highlight this as a negative. If I went out on a 7.0 in 5.0 weather, the 7.0 wouldn't depower either.
    Wish I was better, but don't we all?!

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_poole View Post
    Where was this?
    Ham Park Phil

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTibbs View Post
    You were using a sail too large for the wind strength, so it's unfair to highlight this as a negative. If I went out on a 7.0 in 5.0 weather, the 7.0 wouldn't depower either.
    Agreed...I did say conditions were a bit extreme for the size....but that said I have ( not voluntarily!) experienced similar using the 5.5 Storm and there is a difference. The Storm sets pretty flat and has little or no pre shaping so it is possible to completely depower it. The Bolt still retains some shape when depowered which is actually very beneficial in less extreme conditions. As I said, overall I am hugely impressed!