Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 7 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,025

    Is this normal and repairable?

    A couple of years ago I bought a 2011 JP Super Sport form Roho after a season's use in a hire centre. It seemed a good price and had a repair as near one of front foot went spongy.
    After about a year a lot of the deck went spongy and following BoardLAdy advice drilled a few holes and squirted in polyurethane foam and I had done successfully on other boards. Deck continued to go spongy in an increasing area so more holes and polyurethane foam.The board was now noticeably heavy and I noticed of water from the vent hole.
    Since this tactic was not working I removed the deck in affected area to see what was going on. Firstly, the polyurethane which foamed nicely outside the board once injected did not foam well inside the board creating a film under the deck where it had delaminated. Now for the odd bit I found four holes running from top top bottom deck as in photo over an inch in diameter. Three of these were filled with the polyurethane unfoamed, and a fourth was filled by a lighter coloured filler, presumably the repair before I got it. These holes were where the spongy deck started and spread.
    I had tested the polyurethane and it did not react with polystyrene, and even if it did hard to see how it would create holes from top to bottom, and would have reacted everywhere. Seems to me the bland had these flaws to start with?
    So, can blanks be defective with big holes in it? Is this board repairable (by me)? I was thinking of stuffing holed with polystyrene bits, smoothing foam and glassing epoxy sheet on top, following by laying some polystyrene sheets with two layers of epoxy glassed on top. Just underneath the first layer of glass sheet I was going to embed some old carbon baton lengths as stringers.
    Is it worth the effort and would you sail it well powered up?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-08-16 16.31.23_006.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	10497


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-08-16 16.31.29.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	10496
    Last edited by Maker; 16th August 2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: another photo

  2. #2
    Wow that is a hell of a mess. But no reason why it couldn't be repaired exactly as you describe. When injecting PU foam it's important to use the stuff in cans that you mix together 1:1 and not the builders stuff in an aerosol - as this does not always cure well.

    you could easily re build the core with poly and PU and then laminate and add a sandwich and then the deck after that. I'd take the deck pads off and give it a spray finish.

    I more ore or less did this with my Moo custom and it looks very nice now (white) and only added 500gms.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

    UPDATED Feb 2016

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Roa island
    Posts
    810
    Are those holes supposed to be there though? Or is it a faulty blank?
    Whatever the tide, whatever the ride.

  4. #4
    Don't want to be negative, but that does look a mess and in repairing it you could be throwing good money after bad here.
    It has already taken in water. If you hack out more foam and rebuild that, you'll still have to insert foot plugs, relaminate the deck, and then you'll need some sort of respray.


    Unless you want this as a project, I'd be more inclined to spend the time earning money and then pick up a similar board off ebay or where ever.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,407
    I would put it down to experience. Ex hire kit may be cheap but likely to have had a hard life and fatal dose of UV! Don't buy anything with a nose bumper or a number written on the tail! I would treat yourself to another board and spend your time on the water rather than in the garage.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    I would put it down to experience. Ex hire kit may be cheap but likely to have had a hard life and fatal dose of UV! Don't buy anything with a nose bumper or a number written on the tail! I would treat yourself to another board and spend your time on the water rather than in the garage.
    I am inclined to agree. I still have a board in my possession, which requires similar (albeit not quite as extreme) repairs. I have actually built 5 boards in preference to repairing it. I would suggest, unless you have access to vacuum equipment, to do as mikerb suggests.

    If you would like an all in description of how I would repair it, please PM me and I will give you the low down.

    It is not as complicated as you have made it sound, but it is a lot of work and will require patience, mess and money.

    JB

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,196
    Carbon stringers used in this way are as good as a chocolate teapot. Replacing the sandwich is all you need to do.

    The big holes are odd, but could be explained by over heating epoxy used in a previous repair.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •