Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

UK windsurfing weather from August 11th

New week new thread, but the wind continues, still driven by yesterday's low.

Actually, the ex-tropical storm has been re-energised but halted in its track by the jet stream and now sits up to the north and east of Scotland and has broadened as a system. That means a longer fetch of isobars, making forecasting a bit easier, and should also mean a less volatile wind direction.

The low sits there for a few days so we should have sailable shortboard wind for the first half of the week, but with the breeze tailing off by Thursday. There's then a good chance of further wind for the weekend.

It's windy across much of the UK today, with plenty of places to grab a sail – so check your local forecast for detail. No need for me to tell you where you might best get a sail. The south and west coasts also have a good bit of leftover swell for survivors of Hurricane Bertha to play with.

I already hit the beach early this morning in the hope of getting in a session with the tide on the push at Hove. In the end I decided to wait for the afternoon as it's a bit blustery this morning, with showers knocking the wind up and down, and swinging the direction a little.

But the wind will now build to be good (4.7 sails? Maybe 4.2s again) all day, albeit with further showers expected. The westerly or WSW direction will 'switch' on some south-facing beaches as showers pass but the underlying wind direction should back a bit more WSW this afternoon or once the day warms. Watch out for a wind increase then a drop if a big black cloud tracks overhead.

Many are going for tide on the drop here and the wind should last for afterwork sailing. For high water sailing near me, I'd suggest Worthing or Littlehampton. Further west, you may get a period of more prolonged rain this afternoon but that shouldn't stop the wavesailing fun at places like Kimmeridge.

Add your sailing plans, eyeball beach reports, and your own weather predictions in this thread in the usual way, so as to help others score. This is the looking ahead thread, so best keep session reports in the HWIFY section.

Met Office charts.
    http://www.metbrief.com/EGRR.html
    Last edited by basher; 11th August 2014 at 08:49 AM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Looking good again today but will only sail 1-4pm, any particular thoughts on Littlehampton vs Worthing?
    Cheers
    Nico

Both places will have a bit of a shore break at high water. Worthing will have more windsurfers – but more kiters too.

Both places will involve a long walk once the tide goes out as we are on big tides today, worthing more than LA.
    Parking is still free on Worthing seafront.

Worthing may have more annoying seaweed after yesterday's rougher seas. (Although we have not seen any at Hove yet).
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Thanks Basher, yes I was a LA yesterday and the weeds were all around. I don't really want to fight kiters for the occasional wave at worthing so will do LA again!

Ooops. I've just realised another big shower is heading my way here in Hove.

It's on the rain radar, and I see they have just had another wind drop in Worthing.

The far Southeast corner has also had thundery showers this morning already.

rain radar

Worth keeping a lookout for showers and their associated wind fluctuations. Fortunately they look like they are staying inland at the moment. It's biblical rain and thunder here at the moment!

edit: its actually quite scary. Lightening hit just across the street just now!
    Going to interviews, hence wind is back. In case you were wondering...

FOR SALE:
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. 80

PM me for more details/pics.

Looks like the weather is causing a bit of hassle for many water users - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28745787 . There have certainly been a few big squalls here today.