Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was actually wanting to ask a question along somewhat similar lines, hopefully without hijacking the thread... On a punter (my) level, how much have kit really changed in the last 5, 10, 15 years - boards, sails?

To illustrate my question:
    I have a 2006 JP X-cite ride (120L FWS) board, which is really really nice... Admittedly, I don't sail very often these days at home, but have been going each year on holidays and rented the most modern kit... I do mostly freeride (not waves), very close to planing out of gybes, can tack 105L boards (with 92 kg), so not a complete beginner... But I don't find much of a difference riding e.g. a 2013-14 Shark or Hawk, or the last editions of Mistral Syncros, Explosions a few years ago, etc... I am sure many people can tell small differences from year to year in models (reading the threads), but are there really significant differences other than the big changes; going from no-nose boards of the 90s to the shorter, wider boards, and now to the thin and even wider boards?
    In fact, I have tried last year one of my old (1999) Mistal Explosion 130L, which felt really narrow first (after the wide boards), but after 15-20 min of getting used to it, blasting on it felt pretty good and in fact much more forgiving for back footstrap "attempts" with the massive volume in the back...

Similarly e.g. my 7.7 NP Diablo from 2001 or NP Expression 5.7 from 2003 doesn't feel that much different (with nice masts and good amount of downhaul) than the rental sails (arguably not trimmed to perfection)...
    Do I have a point (from the perspective of someone who doesn't sail on a weekly basis), or am I embarrassing myself for not feeling the differences?

Going back to the OP, I hope answers to this question might help to decide on second hand gear - how far back one should or should not go, since the prices are dropping rapidly with age...

Any opinion would be appreciated..
    Last edited by szladob; 12th August 2014 at 11:17 PM.

I think the good old boards like the Explosion and Screamer are still good boards and if that is what you are used to, you can enjoy sailing them just as much now, but they will not help you develop good technique for sailing new boards quite so much as a modern board, so if you want to progress I would buy something newer. To qualify, that is fine if like me and the OP you are coming back to the sport and are used to old style boards- I would definitely not recommend someone new to start on one, get a new style and develop the right techniques from the start!
    Regarding sails, older styles are not necessarily bad (though some were pretty average) but newer sails have a much wider wind range and may represent a better buy long term- I keep sails for quite a long time due to financial pressures. That sail I bought a Pryde Fusion for not much money that was 4-5 years old but hardly used and I love it, they don't have to be brand new, but that 15 year old "bargain" probably isn't.

Thanks - I found all the comments helpful.

(szladob: ) I found the differences in rigs between 2014 and circa 1995 (!) to be huge. IIRC, carbon masts with controlled stiffness and big, loose-leached sails were just coming in then. The 2014 rigs just seem so much lighter, stable and more forgiving (and I've got heavier !!).

The narrow(er) boards still felt familiar (but I haven't been on my old Rabbit 295 for years, so I reserve the right to change my mind on that). The short, wide 'dinner plate' ones felt weird initially, but seemed to sail around OK.

Just keeping a look out for a rig at the moment....

Thanks again.

Invest in a good rig. 2009 onwards you'll find little difference.
    Boards 250cm loa and under will feel modern.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterg View Post

(szladob: ) I found the differences in rigs between 2014 and circa 1995 (!) to be huge. IIRC, carbon masts with controlled stiffness and big, loose-leached sails were just coming in then. The 2014 rigs just seem so much lighter, stable and more forgiving (and I've got heavier !!).

The narrow(er) boards still felt familiar (but I haven't been on my old Rabbit 295 for years, so I reserve the right to change my mind on that). The short, wide 'dinner plate' ones felt weird initially, but seemed to sail around OK.
    I think sails in the mid 90's were considerably different, and would probably work better with the old style boards, and could see that would have narrower ranges.... So a 1995 vs. 2014 should feel very different. But from the early 2000's sails had very similarly opening leeches as now, and good high content carbon masts have been around for >10 years now... So a 2004-6 sail with a good mast I dare to say would give 80-90% of the performance of the latest ones for a fraction of the price... Regarding boards, I have looked up the JP X-cite ride range after my post, and between 2004-2013/14 the changes were within +/-1 cm in width and length, and doubt that rockers and edges changed hugely... But now the newest generation of freeride boards are out (Gecko, Magic ride etc), which I could believe that feels very different - which could be better for some, or for some conditions - from the previous 10 years of freeride boards... But JP still sells the X-cite ride type (now plus), while Fanatic stopped the Shark, but still has the hawk line which wouldn't be the superwide supershort type either... So the thin board revolution is still evolving.. Anyhow, to get a nice riding board for cheap - a 2004-7 x-cite ride or similar style boards would probably give again 90+% of the fun as a new, not superwide board...
    Just my 2 pennies..

Quote Originally Posted by szladob View Post
    Just my 2 pennies..
    They are appreciated