Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting back into it - Is my old gear worth sticking with?

Hello all

About 20 years ago, I was almost an intermediate - happy with the harness, planing with enough wind, tacking or falling in and then turning around and coming back. Then we had kids, etc. and the windsurfing died off.

Recently a fortnight in the warm waters of Foca in Turkey (Neilson holiday) with some pretty decent gear to use has re-kindled my interest.

While I was there, I spent most of my time on the 150L Starboard 'Go' as it felt most familiar, and also the 'Carve 151'. I tried a couple of 130L boards too, which were OK, but I was trying to stick with a consistent set-up to work on my technique.

The main thing that happened is that I overcame my aversion to sails bigger than 5.x m. (years ago, a friend got a 6 or 6.5m sail that was an absolute beast, and it put me off ever since!). I was happily going out with 7 or 7.5m^2 sails, and even the 8 metre ones (although they were as heavy as a church) which obviously made a big difference to how well I got going.

Now that I'm back home, and the kids are now mostly self sufficient, I'd like to get back into it.

In my shed I have a Fanatic Rabbit (295 / 130L - it looks sooo narrow compared to the new, fat ones) which was my pride and joy at the time, a Neil Pryde 5.5m RAF sail, a clamp-on boom and a pink mast .

I was very impressed with how easy the newer sails were to handle, so I am wondering if it is worth getting a newer rig for my Rabbit - it has a mast track, but I understand that adaptors are available to fit a modern mast foot. I'm thinking along the lines of a Tushingham T4 7m, because that is what I got on with on holiday, but would appreciate suggestions of equivalent sails. I know I will need a new mast, too (I may or may not need a new boom).

So: is it a sensible first step to put a new rig on an old board, or should I just pension it off? A completely new set-up is probably out of the question financially, but if my enthusiasm stands contact with cold water, then I would change the board at a later date.

What about the fin? The newer ones were HUGE (480mm??).

Any suggestions as to where I might get a second-hand rig? (I've seen the classifieds here, and the facebook group).

I live in North Wales, and would ultimately sail on the sea, but would look to get some practice in on flat water first (where is there now? Brenig? W. Kirby? Inland Sea?) - I'm 5'6 and ~80kg, btw.

Many thanks if you have read this far. Even more if you can offer any advice.

Thanks,

Andy
    Last edited by Misterg; 8th August 2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: More info

Hey! Welcome back!

The new wide and shorter free move boards have a lot of range. So does the Go board.

I would start there with the appropriate size for your weight and the winds that are most prevalent in your area. At 80 kg, you could do a lot of windsurfing with a 7.5, 6.5 and 5.5 sails, and probably a 130 volume or maybe even a 120 lt board.

I weigh 95 kg, and I can up haul my RRD Firemove 122, which is about 79 cm wide; and that is on fresh water. So maybe a new wide board of 122 to 125 lts would be just fine.

Those are the boards and sails that I would target as purchases over time.

When I came back I used an old screamer with a new rig and it worked well, get a decent bigger sail, keep the old one for the time being and replace it when you can, then if your enthusiasm survives, a newer board will make life easier. There is loads of stuff on the facebook page, and you can often get a complete set up for a good price if someone is giving up- you don't need the very latest kit to have fun!

Have a look through e bay there are plenty of bargains. I would advice getting a newer board though, it will make life so much easier and will be a lot more fun ( planning time )

Welcome back. I'll come at it from a different angle. Consider the cost of a complete second hand package on relatively modern gear from the various sources, classifieds on here, ebay, the equipment thread on the forum. etc. post the links on here and people will advise.

Board £3/400
    mast. £125
    boom. £100
    sail. £150
    total £700

http://classifieds.nationalwaterspor...fieds/?cPath=1

http://www.thegorillafirm.com/surf/windsurfing/

Well thanks to all for the warm welcome and the encouragement!

I think Harryo makes a good point - especially if someone is selling as a job lot (and thanks for the links).

I guess it's a case of having patience to monitor ebay, facebook, etc. for something to turn up locally. Ebay listings are a bit of a trip down memory lane though - a Vinta 370 with tie-on boom and dacron sail being described as 'ideal for beginners or intermediates'. I would have laughed at that 20 years ago!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	10442

(Can't post links, but there are 3 of them listed!)

On the subject of 2nd hand gear, I think I know where I'm at with looking at boards and sails, but do carbon masts have a 'shelf life', or is it just a case of looking for damage (cracks, dings, etc.)?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterg View Post
    Well thanks to all for the warm welcome and the encouragement!

I think Harryo makes a good point - especially if someone is selling as a job lot (and thanks for the links).

I guess it's a case of having patience to monitor ebay, facebook, etc. for something to turn up locally. Ebay listings are a bit of a trip down memory lane though - a Vinta 370 with tie-on boom and dacron sail being described as 'ideal for beginners or intermediates'. I would have laughed at that 20 years ago!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	10442

(Can't post links, but there are 3 of them listed!)

On the subject of 2nd hand gear, I think I know where I'm at with looking at boards and sails, but do carbon masts have a 'shelf life', or is it just a case of looking for damage (cracks, dings, etc.)?

Thanks again.
    Carbon masts can last a long time.
    First thing is to match the sail and mast. Sails have improved a lot, but there are variations in the curve of different masts and the sail has to be on a suitable mast to perform at its best.

Look for any sign of impact damage.
    Check the bottom of each half of the mast. If they have been used with too small an overlap onto the bottom half of the mast or the extension, the mast can start to split.
    Check the top of the mast. There are different plug-in tops to sails and you might have difficulty getting the sail and mast to connect, although you can usually find some way to adapt the mast top to the sail.