Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

25 years away - now what to buy?

Right - I went windsurfing for the first time in around 25years yesterday and was surprised find it all came back very quickly. It was at the loch on Tiree on a longish fat board with a 4.2 on it in a F3-F4 and while I struggled with lack of power was tacking and flare gybing happily enough and was back in the harness as well. I enjoyed it so much and surprised myself so much I'm thinking of getting back into it.
    I'm 6'2" and quite heavy (~110kg), was a reasonable wave sailer back in the day. The last board I ever had was a Alan Neighbour 255, 55l wave board, but as I say, that was a long long time ago and not sure my expanded middle aged body could cope with that again just yet :-)
    Anyway what would be recommended as a single board and rig to step back into it for a bit of strong wind blasting? It would be great to get back to the waves but I'm fairly realistic about what I might still be capable of. I don't even know if sail sizes have changed as the rigs have improved and have not a clue as to how things have developed in the past 25years while I've been off dinghy sailing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Contact John at Sailrepair for a chat. He is probably your nearest dealer and really gives top notch advice and service. A lot has changed with much of it being a lot easier.

I went through a similar experience, I was carve and duck-gybing confidently 20 years ago, riding waves and sailing a Lightwave 255. I went to Dahab and tried a few boards and on the basis of that bought a fanatic gecko 120. TBH it was initially a miserable experience and I nearly gave up again: then a friend gave me an old Screamer and it felt fine so I knew I could still do it! Cut a long story short, I went and got some coaching and realised that while I had got quite good all those years ago, I'd done so without really understanding how, it was all instinctive, but with a little direction it is coming together again. Boards are now much easier to sail but old school technique may cause you problems, a little advice will mean you can come back and really appreciate the advances. The nice thing is that if you get back to somewhere near where you were, you will realise that a lot of people are sailing in the same conditions without the same depth of experience that you have, and you should be able to hold your own despite being more "mature" in years.

If your on Tiree, Wild Diamond can give you training and kit hire.

I would start with freeride kit to get you back into it.
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 17, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03
    2015 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 07
    2014 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 19, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 12

Catalonia, Spain
    Did something similar 6 or 7 years ago. Looking back at all the errors I made the past years I'd:

- buy your boards second hand for the first couple of years
    - buy a big (+10 or +15l) multifin wave or FSW board (I bought a freeride as my first board and hated it, then something 10l smaller then my weight - excellent to get in shape real fast but not for learning to windsurf again - then a single fin with the same volume as my weight which was still too small to learn properly). The multifin will behave much better in overpowered conditions compared to the single fin, so you can go bigger in volume.
    - get some good coaching asap, preferably at least one week consecutive (best coach I met by a big margin was Xavier from PozoWinds).
    - learn to work with fibreglass
    - get in shape

Not sure what to do with the rig though. I bought second hand sails the first years, and they never lasted more than a year. Masts I bought new but relatively cheap, and they all broke (very) fast. With your weight I can imagine it could be worse. But it all depends on where you want to go and if the virus gets a hold on you again. It got me for sure, then the wife and we're now passing it on to our daughters. Can't imagine life without any more.....

Heavy 110 kg guy looking for strong wind blasting after a long break from windsurfing.

At your weight you will need relatively big sails to power you up properly. If the water is flattish or only with reasonable chop then a 6 m2 sail will take you up to close to 30 knot gusts (when the smaller guys sail around on 4.5), and a 7 m2 sail will take you up to some 25 knots.

If "strong wind" where you live is closer to 20 knots you will need something bigger, between 8 and 9 m2.

And from the get go you need two sails 1 to 1,5 m2 apart to cover a reasonable wind range.

Match it up with a suitable freeride board to get started. Anything smaller than +10 (or +5) liters over bodyweight are just very stressful to sail especially if the wind is gusty. Depending on expected winds range it could be something between 120 and 140 liters.

Makes sense to look for used gear to begin with until you narrow in on what kind of kit you really would need (and can use regularly with the winds on offer).

Thanks for the advice. A few questions
    - what's a FSW board?
    - am I right in thinking sails have got bigger? Back in the day the biggest sail you could get (or handle) was a 7.5m cam race sail for a long race board which took you up to a solid F4. Then I'd drop to a 6m for F4 on a shorter board and going 5.5 for a good F5+ and eventually onto a 4.2 for nuclear stuff
    i guess I need a semi floater so around 135l (110 for me + 10 for rig + 15 for float). Strong winds will be F4 upwards to as much as I dare. I'm up in Scotland lack of wind isn't a problem when it blows?
    i have say it's hard getting my eye into the new short fat boards. They just look so ugly compared to classic pins and swallowtails I'm used to! But that's just me getting old :-)

Better start looking on ebay and the classifieds then