Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Just measured the masts again with my trusted 8m Lufkin tape measure @ 21C:

4309mm and 4606mm (end to end inc 5mm mast cap)

So they are longer, not shorter?

That would suggest your problem lies with the bend curve – or possibly with your rigging settings.

One thing that does happen is that different extensions give different markings, and if you don't use the sail manufacturer's one then how you define the extension needed is then open for debate.

My advice is always to forget the manufacturers settings and to ultimately go on feel.

When I rig any sail on the beach my initial setting is based on instinct – or about what looks right.
    Get the head of the sail open at the top batten or two battens, and then set the outhaul with a bit of positive tension and to suit batten rotation at the boom.
    Blank space

I think you need to get to the bottom of the mast compatibility because using too much DH for every session is a bit ridiculous, neither manufacturer designed their kit for that so the likelihood of failure and or stretching is quite high vs normal settings for this type of kit.
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

I think demo'ing an Ezzy mast may be the way to go here....

You are not using an Ezzy mast so forget the recommended settings. Your symptoms are typical of using too much downhaul and not enough outhaul. You would not be the first person to fail to find a good set for their sails by not trying what may not at first seem the obvious!

I use Tushingham Storm sails. If I feel the same sort of symptoms as you describe I reduce downhaul a little with the same outhaul..........sounds counterintuitive but the reason it works is that the original set did not have the correct match of downhaul to outhaul. With no cambers to pre shape the luff, rotationals sails need the outhaul and downhaul to be adjusted together. Too much downhaul releases outhaul tension so by reducing downhaul I have in effect increased the outhaul. Most especially with smaller rotational sails ( and if you are used to rigging larger sails/camber sails) it is all too easy to put too much downhaul on........and that, if anything, is what I tend to do ( rather than under downhaul). Try it.....