Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quatro FSW vs. RRD FSW

Hi,

I have happily ridden an RRD FSW 100 for almost 4 years now. Time for a change. I loved the board, but I have little comparison. So I was looking into getting a board from another brand. The thing I loved with the RRD was its easy-to-ride-ness. What I was missing, however, was the wavy feeling. Where I wavesail it is mostly onshore or cross-onshore conditions and it might be my limited wave riding skills, but I felt with the RRD I was always a little late in the bottom or top turn as the board did not turn as tightly as I wanted it to. A problem when it comes to gybing too.

I also own an RRD wave twin in 82l which feels a lot more turny...long story short: I was looking into getting a Quatro FSW in either 95 or 105. From reading up on the forums I found that 105 would be the size to go (which would mean it is about the same width as the RRD), but can someone compare the two boards - the RRD to the Quatro?

From the tests it seems the Quatro is a little late on the plane and quite planted. But that's what people say about the RRD too...well, any kind of feedback on the two boards is appreciated.

Thanks
    Strandlaeufer

No one? Any feedback on/suggestion regarding either board, preferably the Quatro, is welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by strandlaeufer View Post
    Hi,

I have happily ridden an RRD FSW 100 for almost 4 years now. Time for a change. I loved the board, but I have little comparison. So I was looking into getting a board from another brand. The thing I loved with the RRD was its easy-to-ride-ness. What I was missing, however, was the wavy feeling. Where I wavesail it is mostly onshore or cross-onshore conditions and it might be my limited wave riding skills, but I felt with the RRD I was always a little late in the bottom or top turn as the board did not turn as tightly as I wanted it to. A problem when it comes to gybing too.

I also own an RRD wave twin in 82l which feels a lot more turny...long story short: I was looking into getting a Quatro FSW in either 95 or 105. From reading up on the forums I found that 105 would be the size to go (which would mean it is about the same width as the RRD), but can someone compare the two boards - the RRD to the Quatro?

From the tests it seems the Quatro is a little late on the plane and quite planted. But that's what people say about the RRD too...well, any kind of feedback on the two boards is appreciated.

Thanks
    Strandlaeufer
    RRD easy to ride ? they are like riding a sack barrow ,horrible . As for Quatro only use a couple ,ok ish . Its like making a choice between sprouts & Cabbage ? both horrible , . lol

Ignore the ignorant one.

The Quatro is a little less "freeride" and a lot more wave orientated than the RRD. A friend has the 105 and despite sailing it with a ridiculously sized fin it is still very, very responsive or a board that size and certainly more fun than the "point and blast" RRD.

Goya One is another good option for wave orientated FSW boards. A few of us on here have owned and loved them.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    Ignore the ignorant one.

The Quatro is a little less "freeride" and a lot more wave orientated than the RRD. A friend has the 105 and despite sailing it with a ridiculously sized fin it is still very, very responsive or a board that size and certainly more fun than the "point and blast" RRD.

Goya One is another good option for wave orientated FSW boards. A few of us on here have owned and loved them.
    Just read the 116L review of the Goya from the dark side publication.... Another one added to my mid vol testing....
    hostis humani generis

Ok,

let me be a little more specific of what I am looking for then: First of, I am not really interested in going fast. Well, I hate being overtaken, but I don't just want to blast around in a straight line either. As I said, I like the RRD in general, but I have little comparison. So could be you are right, Big Wave Dave.

So let me tell you guys, what I don't like: First, when it is choppy (as in egg box chop), the board hits the water too hard. No idea how to explain that really. It is just that a smaller board (I own an old RRD wave cult) lands soft when you jump over chop, whereas it feels the FSW lands hard all the time. So I would be looking for something that gives me a smoother ride.

Second, I usually ride in onshore / cross-onshore conditions with a lot of wind swell. That is, small waves and no clear lines. I am trying to ride those waves for some time now, but the FSW doesn't feel easy when it comes to bottom or top turning. That is, I am missing the wave most of the time. Might be my limited skills, but anyways I would be looking for a board that is more supportive given my limited skills.

That said, what I am afraid of with the Quatro is: Well, waves are (very) small. In fact they are no real waves. So I need a board that is not just a pure wave-riding board...

Hm, not sure I have clarified things....does this actually help?

-Strandlaeufer

The Chakra might suit, great board in most conditions. As soon as my current boards are past their best I will buy a couple, every time I have ridden one I am blown away by them.

Nowt wrong with the RRDs but they do seem a little stiff compared to the Chakra. I know the exact feeling you mean as I too have a pair of RRD FSWs. JPs for me are too straight line but easy to ride, Goya exactly as per Lostboy.
    Last edited by phill104; 5th August 2014 at 05:49 PM.