Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Overload. Overloading your board

What is an overload?

This is an issue that has come up a lot over the years and it's perhaps a classic mistake that some intermediates make with their gear. (Can't get going? Add more power.)

An overload is where you/we try to push the limits of our gear, in the hope of getting planing.
    It's where you carry such a big or heavy rig on the board you have that it cannot perform as it was designed to do.

The overload may be stretching the recommended sail size for that board, or it may simply be using too big a sail for the conditions or for your body weight on that board.

Different manufacturers give different guidelines for this. Some will give you the 'possible' sail range for a board and the 'recommended' one. Generally the recommended range will be narrower than the possible one. The recommended range will focus on the 'sweet spot' for that board, where it performs at its best.

The reason a board has a sail range is because a board can become too big in windy conditions or too small in light winds.
    That simple truth will also vary according to what the water conditions are like, on who is sailing the board and how heavy they are, and it will also depend on how heavy your rig is.

At the lighter wind end of this range the key to spotting an overload is
    1) If you get planing or not – and does the board then stay on the plane?
    2) Is it a comfortable ride and does the board turn easily without dropping off the plane?
    3) Is there any benefit using this bigger rig over a smaller size sail on the same board?
    4) Would this big rig perhaps work better on a bigger board?
    5) Do you spinnout a lot?
    6) Are you having to fit a much bigger fin (or add more fin area to a multi fin cluster) to get going with this rig?
    7) Can you uphaul this rig on this board?

Rig weight and sailor weight do come into this (along with water state and any currents).
    Rig and sailor weight combined affect the ability of a board's buoyancy (volume, litreage) to support that weight. So the lighter sailor may get away with a bigger sail on a board. (If your weight in kilos already matches the hull volume in litres then you probably have a problem.)

Rig weight is a complex issue – where you can try and reduce all-up weight by buying high-carbon rig components – but the average rig gets so much heavier as you go up in sail area. A 6.5 sail may fit on a 430 mast and with a wave boom but a 7m will usually need a 460 mast and a freeride/slalom boom. So the gain of half a meter sail area may be negated by several kilos of extra rig weight sinking the board.

With any board, it's also not just about listed litreage in determining sail carrying capacity – as board width and planing footprint come into play, along with rockerline in determining how early a board can plane.
    With larger kit, the type of fin set up used also determines what sail area is appropriate for a board. For example, once you get to 7m rigs or bigger, a single fin board is usually optimal for getting going and for better speed as it's the torque lift from a longer fin that allows the board to rise up on the tail at better speed so as to maximise the use of apparent wind in marginal conditions.

When is an overload good? I guess if you do get going – and that's the only board and rig combo you have for light winds – then that's what you do.
    But if you find you sail this mismatched combo all the time then it's probably worth trading up the board for a slightly bigger one or to pair it with a second, bigger board.
    Last edited by basher; 30th July 2014 at 11:09 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

shouldn't this thread be titled 'overlord'? After all, it seems a very long winded way of trying to justify your inaccuracies posted in the 'intermediates' thread.
    hostis humani generis

Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

Seems to me this thread could have a lot of comedy value – where people can confess to the abuse they have given their various boards over the years.

Tell us what the board size was, how much you weigh, and what rig size you attempted to use and what happened.
    If you can mention the rig weight then even better.

#camberinducers
    #Rothowave
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

When I first got my 72 litre goya wave quad, I was desperate to ride it, but there was little wind. I rigged a 6m ezzy fully bagged out, and it worked amazingly well.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    where people can confess to the abuse they have given their various boards over the years.
    I got a boner once watching my wife paddle my Starboard Rio in her bikini...

I wouldn't exactly say she overloaded the board though, that would constitute an abusive relationship if I did.

Next...
    hostis humani generis

I think "overload" is very apt, and the use of "your" is interesting. Normally the C in C uses "we" when referring to himself, so presumably the C in C's board is exempt from the overloading conventions he seeks to promolgate. When it comes to plain speaking he's Mr Salter to the forum's Scoop. Carry on.
    It is what it is.