Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

PWA wave tour 2014 / Tenerife

The PWA Tenerife event starts after the Fuerteventura Freestyle finishes, but the event organisers are already in build-up mode.

Here's their pre-event trailer, reminding us what conditions can be like.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_K6OrpGOLM
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

That's a great trailer (unless you don't like jumps!). Lets hope its like that rather than just about competable waist high 5m weather!

Hopefully SB will give us a locals interpretation of the forecast once we get closer to the event. It's defnitely a good job its not starting today, but later next week looks like it gets better:

http://www.windguru.cz/int/
    Going to interviews, hence wind is back. In case you were wondering...

FOR SALE:
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. £80

PM me for more details/pics.

Headline sponsor for this event is Dunkerbeck Eyewear. The big man is putting money back into the sport which made him, and that's great to see.

On a personal note, I'm also pleased to see Lucy Robson back in competition in the women's fleet at this event.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

This forecast goes further into the future and it's quite positive for the PWA event. Yes, lucky it doesn't start today. We've had some wind for the past week, but not much now till middle of next week. That has been the pattern the last two summers - alternating weeks of wind / no wind, instead of the 'normal' two months of solid trade winds ... not much fun if you happen to book a holiday (or a PWA event) for the no wind week. As the Surf Centre say: "The worst thing about it is that these days came as one continuous disaster and didn’t split up in different holiday weeks. For those visitors who came in that precise period it was more than disappointing."

(it's been a different story in the winter though - consistent, and strong)

Anyway, keeping fingers crossed for the event. It makes for great pre session inspiration / post session spectating for me.
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic books: Nobody's Poodle and just published: Somebody's Doodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef

Hi Silicon Beach, I am heading your way soon. My son is flying this Sunday and me a week later. Trying to work out what to pack for that first week. Does 15 knots on
    windguru give sailable conditions and if so what are the good guys on in that?. Was packing him off with 78L and a 4.7 as biggest kit. He is 68kg ok sailor. Starting to think my 82L and a up to a 5.4 maybe better. Thanks N

Hi niall ... looks like the stronger wind will be around for you, but yes for next week I'd say to bring the bigger kit. For me (84 kg) one star on WG = 5.7m / 95l FreeWave; 2 stars = 5.2 or 4.7 on 82l WaveTwin; and 3 stars = 4.2 or 3.7.

15 knots on WG is usually just about OK for me with 5.7m / 95l FreeWave. In fact that's what I was using yesterday for some float-&-ride at the Wall (plenty of float, but not much to ride unfortunately).

My most used sail this summer has been my 5.2m and I often have both my boards (95l & 82l) on the beach and swap between them as the wind changes.

Say hello if you see a tall bald bloke with Tushingham Rocks on the water / beach.
    Last edited by Silicon Beach; 25th July 2014 at 01:45 PM.
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic books: Nobody's Poodle and just published: Somebody's Doodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    Hi niall ... looks like the stronger wind will be around for you, but yes for next week I'd say to bring the bigger kit. For me (84 kg) one star on WG = 5.7m / 95l FreeWave; 2 stars = 5.2 or 4.7 on 82l WaveTwin; and 3 stars = 4.2 or 3.7.

15 knots on WG is usually just about OK for me with 5.7m / 95l FreeWave. In fact that's what I was using yesterday for some float-&-ride at the Wall (plenty of float, but not much to ride unfortunately).

My most used sail this summer has been my 5.2m and I often have both my boards (95l & 82l) on the beach and swap between them as the wind changes.

Say hello if you see a tall bald bloke with Tushingham Rocks on the water / beach.

Thank you thats great info. Looks like we need a bit of a change of packing. Will look out for you.