Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Demon VG7 9.5

Demon VG7 9.5

I'm looking at buying this sail, which I believe was the locally made prototype. It comes with 550 north and 580 Fiberspar masts, as well as a 46cm Gunn extension.

I'm looking for rigging advice...like old Gaastra with mast through the cams?, or like old North with mast over the cams, little DH, lots of OH, snap on cams, complete DH.

Also looking for tuning advice as I believe they have a large range of settings....( assuming prototype is the same as production )

Quote Originally Posted by rod_r View Post
    I'm looking at buying this sail, which I believe was the locally made prototype. It comes with 550 north and 580 Fiberspar masts, as well as a 46cm Gunn extension.

I'm looking for rigging advice...like old Gaastra with mast through the cams?, or like old North with mast over the cams, little DH, lots of OH, snap on cams, complete DH.

Also looking for tuning advice as I believe they have a large range of settings....( assuming prototype is the same as production )
    I have a 10.5 short boom. Enjoy, you have an extraordinarily powerful, easy to use sail. Spend a lot of time exploring the settings but don't give it as much downhaul as you would think. I find it works best if the bottom batten is starting to "S", probably the start point for the downhaul setting. The way the sail works steers you more towards outhaul set as the main driver. Don't worry about the cams, rig it like an RAF sail and worry about it afterwards.

You won't believe how easy this sail is to waterstart compared with the opposition. PS, set the harness lines about about a handwidth behind where you think to start with and wait for the gusts to fine tune the position.

I think we could do with some pictures of this sail before commenting on it.

Do you know how old it is?

If it's a protoype then, by definition, we have nothing to relate it to.

Pictures of the two masts would also help in identifying the era of this kit.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

I haven't bought it yet but here it is.
    masts are North Platinum 550 100% and Fibrespar Flextip 580 100%, and 46cm Gun extension. Seller has not used it before as it came with other gear he wanted, so all he can tell me is luff 6m, clew 226.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	10296   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	10297  

Looks like an early version, then again if it's made locally to you in NZ then chances are Sean Cox built it to his original formula, our guy who makes Demon (Matthew)and a former protege of Seans has I think amended his approach to the way those things are built and controlled.

Maybe he'll come on and comment, but that thing still looks like the old tight leech not much twist going on up top sails he used to build that become very tricky above certain wind strengths.

Matthews sails have more range, that sail if it's built the way I think it is, hasn't, but then not much you can tell from a picture of it laid flat, it's just reminiscent of my demon 9.0..

Thanks
    I ended up not buying it. Probably glad, as it doesn't sound quite like what I was looking for.
    I was going to use it on a Kona for recreational sailing, so while I have your attention, what [in your opinion ] is a great Kona sail?

Because it's not a raceboard in the traditional sense, I'm not sure a pure raceboard sail is what I'd want, but it is heavy, so it needs a sail with excellent low wind drive. In a nutshell, a 9.5 ish sail with massive grunt which can be tuned to the point you can step down to a 7.5.

I used a Kona 8.2 for only the second time I've ever used a Kona sail over the weekend, and it did seem to have decent low end, and more downhaul did produce a fairly loose leech, but as mentioned in another thread, it is kinda cheap looking...

I dunno, it's quite a light sail that demon and as a chuck about light ind powerhouse that'll get your Kona going? Not a totally silly idea.

I'm not a big fan of the actual Kona rigs, they were/are quite cheap and cheerful, but then again I've never used an 8.2, I think 7.4 was the size we had. (We were selling them before they had those big 9.0 sails for the heavy weights)

Lost boy might be along in a while he sails a Kona a lot, I've no idea what he uses, but as you say it's not pure race board us, just leisure blasting about, so pretty much any big lightish sail would do the job.