Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

RRD Firestorm 110 v. JP All Ride 116

I have a friend who is trying to make an All Ride 116 work with a 6.5 sail in mid-teens winds.

Me, I would never do that, as at my weight, a 7.5 on a Firemove 122 or X-Cite Ride 134 works.

He has a Tabou Rocket 130 or so, which I think that he should use more often; but he is stuck on trying to use a smaller board.

So, in conversation, the Firestorm 110 came up. I suggested a Firestorm in the 120 range, but he thought that would be too close to his Rocket.

So, the question is, would the Firestorm 110 plane up and get going any earlier than the All Ride 116?

I think that he weighs around 165 lbs - 170 lbs.

Hi birdsong, the firestorm is a bit wider than the all ride (68cm to 65.5cm), so that may help get planing earlier. But to me it doesn't seem worth your friend buying another board in the 120 region, when he's already got the 130 rocket.

Why doesn't he get both boards ready before sailing, try the 116 and leave the other one on the beach. Then if he's not getting planing on the 116 swap it over for the 130?
    '15: 17
    '16: 14

Wanted:

5.4 Naish Boxer
    7.5 - 7.8m NP or Tushingham Sail

perhaps the Firemove (or similar Starboard Atom, Fanatic Gecko, JP Magic Ride), would be the one board solution which could replace both the rocket and the All-Ride

Rustington when it's windy. Grantham most of the time
    The 112 firemove I think is around 75cm wide. I am 90+ kg and it works really well for me with my 7.5 T4. I would like to try a 7.8 crammed sail to get a bit more out of it but since I bought the firemove at Easter I have not used my 8.5 and slalom board partly because I am not good enough to use it and drop the sail to often when gybing. It's then a pig to water start when the luff tube has filled with water.

Quote Originally Posted by windyrich View Post
    perhaps the Firemove (or similar Starboard Atom, Fanatic Gecko, JP Magic Ride), would be the one board solution which could replace both the rocket and the All-Ride
    After he saw me glide over really choppy conditions tonight on my Firemove 122, he might be coming to the same conclusion. A Firemove 112 might be perfect for him.

Or a Firestorm 110. Either way, he could get rid of the All Ride.

I am going to get rid of mine.

There will not be a big difference in early planing. I have sailed both board in tests and i preffered the all ride.

If he is having trouble gaining speed enough to plane, it is mainly because Either to slow wind, or teqnik.

Make sure to get your bodyweight over the front foot without bending the front leg. Go a bit with the wind and close the sail. In low winds pump with both hands and legs.

Mathias

Quote Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
    Either way, he could get rid of the All Ride.
    Anything that creates that situation is good. A truly awful board.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!