Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Strange spots on board surface

Today I noticed some spots on the top surface of my Starboard Carve and a lot of them on the bottom surface

Here is a picture

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16550043/photo.JPG[/img]

I don't understand where they come from, I always sail in a reservoir (Draycote Water) and there is a lot of seaweed in this period, could it be related to that?

It looks like when metal gets rusty and the change in volume makes the paint peels and come off

Its osmosis probably caused by keeping the board in a damp board bag or similar.

Board bag osmosis. The board 'sweats' in a humid environment and the paint reacts with small blisters.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Is leaving the board bag open sufficient to prevent it?

Yes it should be.
    But if say you're storing the board inside a damp shed over the winter, then it might be better if the board sat on the bag, rather than in it.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Here's an Aussie thread on the same issue:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/W...s-on-my-board/

It is caused by leaving the board in contact with a damp surface so remove the board from the bag once you get back home...it is best if you let air circulate all around the board so put it on a rack or brackets without the bag. Fresh water is worse than sea water for causing this....