Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Chop Hop-Old School vs New School Boards

Hi new to Boards main reason for joining is to start a discussion about Old style boards vs the new wider shorter boards. I sail the Great Lakes in Ontario Canada so conditions are usually small waves for chop hop. I sail a 105 Ltr. board and prefer a 5.5 Ezzy Freeride sail but more often sail a 6.5 Ezzy. My favorite thing to do is chop hop. I sold my 105 Ltr starboard Free ride last year i think it was about a 1999 board and purchased a new but 2009 model Naish FreeRide slalom board also 105 Ltrs. The board is shorter and wider. Although i like the shorter nose on the Naish board the speed and ability to pull nice jumps off of the lake chop is not even comparable to the old style starboard board. Anyway, i wonder if any other members experience this and have tried different boards in this size range. What newer boards do you feel offer the best combined speed and ability to pull off nice jumps on 2 to 3 foot chop. Thanks for all your input.

Hi and welcome,
    This is rather an odd one, most people prefer the shorter boards, especially in the air as there is less nose to be blown around.
    It is probably just a case of getting used to it as most wider boards have more 'pop' to gain air time.
    Maybe if you describe better what you don't like we could offer a little more advice ?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakes View Post
    Hi new to Boards main reason for joining is to start a discussion about Old style boards vs the new wider shorter boards. I sail the Great Lakes in Ontario Canada so conditions are usually small waves for chop hop. I sail a 105 Ltr. board and prefer a 5.5 Ezzy Freeride sail but more often sail a 6.5 Ezzy. My favorite thing to do is chop hop. I sold my 105 Ltr starboard Free ride last year i think it was about a 1999 board and purchased a new but 2009 model Naish FreeRide slalom board also 105 Ltrs. The board is shorter and wider. Although i like the shorter nose on the Naish board the speed and ability to pull nice jumps off of the lake chop is not even comparable to the old style starboard board. Anyway, i wonder if any other members experience this and have tried different boards in this size range. What newer boards do you feel offer the best combined speed and ability to pull off nice jumps on 2 to 3 foot chop. Thanks for all your input.
    Hi mate welcome to boards . Im known for using old school boards (JP free style waves/wave boards ) .I only sail jps from 2001 to 2005 ,reason, For me they are the perfect shape and perfect for where i sail ?. They sail just as good as new 2006-14 boards do , and sometime better . It depends on what you call short ? .My 77lt is 245cm long ,to me thats short enough ,my 91lt is 247cms long . Both are fantastic all rounders , from the UK to the Cannery islands they work well for very little money off ebay secondhand . You dont need to spent thousands of ,$,or euros to have fun on the sea. So are the old school better than New wide /short /thick boards ? . Its all in the persons opinion ? older boards are more difficult to sail ,technically ,than new boards , but they are more rewarding and exciting then the new boards . lol. true . But as i said both offer good sailing in different ways . Think your main problem is sails ? Ezzy ? TERRIBLE sails ,dog of a sail ,the refinement of a sledgehammer . lol. Really hate Ezzy . But alot on here will disagree with that . lol . Old School ? 2001- 5 are new to me ? lol . happy sailing mate .
    Last edited by big wave dave; 9th July 2014 at 06:42 PM.

I think multifins (twins and quads) aren't generally as good to jump as singles, but I've never noticed the greater width of modern smaller boards being a negative. I suppose from first principles a narrower board of the same volume all other things being equal will be a bit quicker and that's usually a good thing for maximising air time. Footstrap position makes a difference - a wide 115 freestyle board with central straps can jump like a demon, while something with outboard straps and a more freeride set up can be a bit of a pig.

Where have you got the straps set to?
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l
    My Sails: North Sails Warp f2016 , North Hero, North Volt

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    Hi and welcome,
    This is rather an odd one, most people prefer the shorter boards, especially in the air as there is less nose to be blown around.
    But more width to be blown. If you have sailed truly old school boards you'd have the feeling with a new one comparatively it's like gliding on a giant flip flop! Ha!

Yes but the width is under your feet and mast foot and yes I still have an old freeride board pretty similar to a screamer, 270 x 58 approx.