Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Harnesses

Harnesses

Popped out last week to try and find a decent harness and really struggled. They've all gone kitey crossover based and as a result prices are silly. A DK T6 for instance was £170 in the first shop plus you then have to splash out either £35 or £60 on a spreader bar depending on which type you want. Another brand was £285. As harnesses are such a personal thing it took a few shops before I found the right one for me. Some offered no support at all while others were too kit biased yet were still being "sold" to me. I also noticed how crap the webbing was on some and how poorly finished some were. One shop didn't have a test setup so you couldn't really see how they feel under load. You can see why it is hard for people to get into this sport.

£285 quids ... which brand was that ? they're avin a laff. What did you buy in the end ? you're into nappies aren't you ?
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic books: Nobody's Poodle and just published: Somebody's Doodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef

I am a nappy wearer yes, but I was trying to break the habit and go waist. I cannot remember the brand, some kitey name I've never heard of. I decided to stick with my DaKine XT seat a bit longer until I find a decent replacement at a reasonable price. I can still remember buying my first harness from Andy Biggs for the princely sum of £40. Back then though shops often stocked multiple brands so you could try them on. Many shops are very reluctant to do this these days for fear of getting lumbered with them, or in some cases just cannot get them from the distributors. Either way it is getting hard for the consumer to get what they want.

Hi Phil

Interested - Whats the cheapest youve found a T6?
    http://pembswindsurfing.blogspot.com
    Thoughts, Stories and Exploits from a DTL duffer!

The cheapest I found was £130, so a big difference in where you shop. First chap at £170 said it was the 2015 version whatever that is supposed to mean. The last place I tried was quite dusty so I am guessing it had been there a bit. But he had no spreader bars except kite ones.

Harnesses along with wetsuits are one thing I find it hard to buy online unless you are going like for like. I was thinking about the whole windsurfing buying experience and how at least for me it had changed a lot on recent years. There was a time when your local shop had a few brands, including boards and sails etc and you simply went for what your dealer had. Now I do not have the loyalty to my local store so will hunt down what I want at the best price. Partly it is a case of my old mate Tony retiring, partly because I know more what I want and partly because many dealers do not have the range they once carried.
    Last edited by phill104; 6th July 2014 at 09:56 PM.

I did wonder if we were being sold down the river on this issue. The prices? And the design?
    £100+ for a harness? WTF? It's basically a nappy with a hook, right?

Watch out that some harnesses are now so padded they are also sponges, soaking up huge amounts of water when wet. Not great for early planing.

I won't comment on seat harnesses but best advice is always to try a variety of harnesses on in a shop – rather than buying random stuff online at a price.

A good shop will stock the reasonably priced brands – Flying Objects, Pro Limit, etc – and that same good shop will throw in the right length spreader bar as part of the deal. (Well, Surfladle did when I bought mine.)

With a waist harness, the right length spreader bar is one which allows the harness to pull from the sides – without it squashing your waist, as a too short one does.
    Best avoid any waist harness with a short spreader bar or one that slides – as that will rarely be comfortable or stay put.

That said, we are different shapes, and at different levels for windsurfing – so comfort is an individual or personal thing. I paid fifty quid for my last harness, and it's still going strong.

It's a good safety thing too, when windsurfing, to have some sort of quick release at the end of the spreader bar.
    Last edited by basher; 6th July 2014 at 10:30 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

I was in the same position last month. When I started about 5yrs ago I had lots of problems with waist harnesses so was really pleased to settle into wearing a mystic seat harness, cost about 70 quid. I found I couldnt get a direct replacement and the choice across industry was quite limited. Based on that my local shop lent me a waist harness and after a couple of sessions I decided to try out a few new ones in the shop. Service was excellent, loads of fitting advice and im a happy bunny now. I went for a np 3d thing with aluminium spreader bar. Works like a dream and im 5 sessions in and its opened up a few more techniques that werent available with the seat. It did seem like all the models were pricey, some fitted me poorly and some designs seemed a bit odd to cover kite and windsurf use.