Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rear Board Rack for Van

I need a new solution to transporting my kit, my T5 is great but it's not kitted out for windsurfing so need to find alternative approach. Roof rack is no good as I've a weight limit on the popup roof (plus I'm a short arse), inside van is where the dog lives and trailers are a hassle.

So what I really really want is a rear towbar mounted board rack. I've seen loads of these around europe, but none in UK. Google brought up a custom bikerack/easyload rack someone had DIY'd. Was wondering if anyone had considered this, designed one or have one and could give suggestions on design. Hoping a trailer fabricator would be able to knock one up for maybe 300 (total guess).

Problems to solve, suggestions welcome

ACCESS - opening the tailgate, I think there's going to be no way around this...did wonder about a tipping design (like the bike racks) but think this wouldn't work. Another option would be if the whole rack detached fairly simply from the towbar hitch, with 60kg of kit + the weight of the rack may be a bit tricky...

SECURITY - Probably no higher risk than leaving on a roof rack. but it is a concern for sails, booms and masts...not sure relying on good karma is best. I did think maybe one of the snowboard alarms might act as a deterrent..

SAFETY - The tips of boards will be higher than the roof of the van by maybe 50cm, apart from mpg and car park barriers I hope that the wind pressure on the exposed area at say 90mph doesn't damage my boards, probably safer locating boards side on, like in the racks below. Also obviously boards must not fall off the rack...

LEGAL - thinking to keep it narrow enough so as not to obscure my lights then I wouldn't need to worry about trailer electrics.

Here are some examples google found for me...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheeless_loaded.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	10219

Hi,

Not sure where you pinched the first pic above from but there is some more info behind that rack on this link including some stuff from the guy who owns it.

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/f...p?f=3&t=104062

Ta, Mark

Cheers for that link Mark.
    I had a good read and that solution didn't seem to do it as it relied on brackets on the vehicle, I wanted something totally 'freestanding' off the towbar. I came to the conclusion that WARDOGs wheelless trailer was the best solution. I had a quote from a local welder who said he could build one for 150, when I spoke to him he sounded pretty clueless so back to the drawing board. Upon reading wardogs build, his base is a ready made cargo rack, similar to the easybase used by the UK guys.

So a new approach, a flange mounted bike rack combined with thule easybase, something like these:

Although I suspect the tubular bike rack might not be strong enough to support windsurfing kit that is acting as a bit of an airbrake from the 50cm overhang. I've never used one but have seen them bouncing down the motorway. So if anyone has any experience of these type of racks, such as the Pendle....let me know if you think they're a bit flimsy...

My other idea is to use the Easy base and get a solid bit of box section frame welded to a drop plate that would be fitted behind the towball...currently drawing it up, not sure how strong a weld is, but at the moment I'm working on the assumption it'd be strong enough to hang a sh1t load of steel work off the back of the vehicle!

Something I didn't learn in school....lever effect....if I have a vertical bar heading up from the towbar with a load of force applied at the top, the forces at the weld are increased...same principle as using a breaker bar I guess. Once I have draw-up my metal work plan I'm sure a welder will send me off back to the drawing board...but if anyone has any prior experiences, any advice welcomed

...once I get the hang of googles damn sketchup program I'll add a better pic....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rack2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	10246

Maybe a decent bike rack would hold it....will check some out at halfords
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a14aDYnFtJc

Even a small weld in mild steel done properly is very strong, you get issues with a heart affected zone around it but a good welder will minimise that. Often one of the limits is not the weld or the extension/new material but what its mounted to as vehichle steel can be a bit flimsy. Its quite common to see sheet steel torn by large loads applied to welded on accessories like tie down points etc.

If I was doing a project like yours I would start by creating a new under vehicle structure to spread the load over as big an area as possible with multiple contact points and taking the load to the middle of the vehicle as far as I can so its not all on ht erear axle. I wouldn't use the tow bar or any off the shelf item (made by the lowest bidder )
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

Cheers JK.
    I think after looking at the off the shelf racks vs custom fabrication I may be able to make do with a MAXXXRACK and easybase, which together should be rated for 60kg. My towbar will have a nose limit of 100kg so hopefully all good. I do wonder if it'll be a bit high off the back of the van, especially when the boards are more vertical. Don't think I'll plan on trying it with a SUP or long board.

My other option would be to put 20kg of boards on the roof with 30kg of sails/masts/boom on a rear rack, I think that's probably the long distance travel approach.
    The MAXXRACK seems to be pretty robust, and it's removeable which is a bonus, as I could get into the tailgate..

Just need to find some going cheap on ebay now!!

Have a look at these : http://www.bak-rak.com/
    Quite a few people have adapted them for paramotors which are quite heavy. Not tried one myself but I think they are strong (130Kgs loading - more than the tow bar). You might be able to modify one.