Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tarifa Lately?

Tarifa Lately?

Going to Andalusia for a week/10 days and hoping to sail.

Has anyone rented gear lately in Tarifa? Do they allow you to bring hire gear to other spots (e.g.: Canos de Mecca)?

I've rented on Maui only where one gets a board + 3 sails kind of kit - not sure if that's common practice, but that's the only thing that would make sense if one isn't sailing off the beach in front of the rental/hire place.
    Nothing for sale.

Hi, these are the people to contact:

http://www.sailboardstarifa.com/en/s.../alquiler.html

Just off the main drag going in to Tarifa, custom shapes and nice guys.

Mylo

Excellent - thank you very much!

I think I had a 40cm needle by Sailbords Tarifa (or 100% Fun) in 1989... this is going to be great!
    Nothing for sale.

Pleasure. I had a look at the boards when I was there in May with a mate and I have to say that the boards do look very good. Let us know how you get on as it is useful to have this info on the forum for others who may be venturing out there.

Yup, be interested to hear how it is now, went there in '92/'93 and thought it was heaven but slightly put off by reports of bandits on the road (government warnings and horror stories on the Motorcaravanners page on facebook) plus tales of the number of kiteboarders- although in fairness when I went it was plagued by organised gangs from Italy stealing stuff to order, local police apparently found a nearly full container waiting for shipment. I lost a wetsuit (my fault, I left it out to dry overnight) and nearly shat myself when I thought I'd found a body on the beach- it wasn't uncommon as Moroccans tried to swim the straights. Turned out to be a sand sculpture.

Hi,
    To rent gear you can also go to B3 Watersports, you can bring all the stuff with you for the week. http://www.b3watersports.com/

And if you are looking for an accomodation I rent a nice house between Tarifa and Canos... perfect for your trip
    http://www.casatahivilla.com/EN

If you need more info about Tarifa you can ask to me !

Anyway enjoy your time here!!
    Last edited by Fabrice Van Ranst; 6th July 2014 at 08:35 AM.

Happy to report Tarifa hasn't changed much since I was there last in 1990 or so. There are more boutiques and the main drag is littered with kite shops now, but the town and its beaches are intact.

The conditions in the summer are flat with small bumps unless the Levante (east wind) blows at 3.5 for days on end and one makes the trip Canos de Mecca (Trafalgar). Bolonia (30 mins from town towards cadiz) has the most wind swell.

I rented from Sergio at Sailboards Tarifa - brand new carbon booms, avanti laminate sails and a number of his custom shapes. Super nice guy, very helpful and you can sail the gear at any spot you like. Just take out a board and two sails suitable for the conditions of the day and be on your way. If you plan to sail on the day of your arrival, be there between 11am and 2pm. He likes to go sailing during the siesta (from 2 to 6PM), but if you contact him in advance he will throw some suitable kit into his van and meet you at the beach.

If traveling with family/kids, the hotel Dos Mares is great (although not exactly cheap), since it offers protection from wind and sun and things to do (pool, horseback riding) for those who don't sail. There is also a rental shop with sailing/kiting school, but you can't take the kit off-site and the beach isn't the most interesting for sailing.

Lastly, try the tapas at the bar El Frances in town!
    Last edited by ny22; 18th July 2014 at 07:00 AM.
    Nothing for sale.