Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderators

Moderators

This is a polite request to do something about all the negative posting on the site which is beyond being, beyond a joke.

Surely when you agree to become a moderator you have to also accept some responsibility as to how the forum is run. Banning BWD was not such a difficult decision but sorting out all the negative sniping which seem to surround Bashers posts is something that needs sorting.

The moderate lite style does not seem to be working.

May I suggest. Warnings first, failing that, 30 day sin bin where you are not allowed to post. Names and number of posts should be irrelevant when deciding with whom to take action.

Then how about emailing all the forumites and asking them to give the forum another try.

Quote Originally Posted by pedroenespana View Post
    This is a polite request to do something about all the negative posting on the site which is beyond being, beyond a joke.

Surely when you agree to become a moderator you have to also accept some responsibility as to how the forum is run. Banning BWD was not such a difficult decision but sorting out all the negative sniping which seem to surround Bashers posts is something that needs sorting.

The moderate lite style does not seem to be working.

May I suggest. Warnings first, failing that, 30 day sin bin where you are not allowed to post. Names and number of posts should be irrelevant when deciding with whom to take action.

Then how about emailing all the forumites and asking them to give the forum another try.
    You forgot to mention public flogging.
    It is what it is.

IIRC, Arf and Naomi originally accepted the role as a sort of spam early warning and defence system, (not least as they both seem to get out of bed relatively early), rather than because they fancied sorting out playground fights. Actually 'playground' isn't a great metaphor there, as it's more old-folks-home altercations.

I agree it's a shame the cattiness has resurfaced though (even if I can't sometimes resist the odd slightly mischievous post myself). The forum has been much better without it over the past few weeks, and mild piss-taking is much more fun than repeated personal attacks anyway.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

I am tired of the negativety that surounds basher. I have been one of the forumites that has been very negative towards him, but I have stopped. One, because it only makes me feel bad and two because it does not help.

I have started to belive that basher does not have a clue on how and why so many users of the forums react to him. I think he wants to and belives he is doing a great job here and he has the depest concerne about building windsurfing as a positive sport and the forums as a source for that. I can not change basher and I can not make him understand how he makes me feel reading a lot of his contributions to the forums.

I think both basher and the negative posts towards him is the problem. I have no clue on how to solve that.

Erm, well everyone's been pretty well behaved for weeks now, I'm really busy so haven't been reading all the threads so perhaps I missed something.

Usually it's only one of a couple of people being dicks, I have no problem with just banning anyone that goes overboard, but I prefer to rely on rash over-reaction on my part as a reason to ban, rather than any written rules.

Anyhow, if a particular thread is full of fighting and you don't like it, avoid it. If a post pops up that you think is truly out of hand, report the post and I'll get my whip and come and have a look.

The Basher and fan club thing is not going to go away, but rest assured that I get as annoyed as everyone else with it when it does go into overdrive and will sort it when that happens.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

I'm as guilty as most and despite having him on ignore for the most part, on the odd occasion when the volume of his posts on a thread I'm trying to be constructive within forces attention to be paid to his ravings, it does bring out the negativity in me. So who is to blame? It is a forum, this is the internet so there is always someone wrong on it, and without the odd jollity of him being rounded upon it would be a very boring place.

Asle's suggestion would be the best, post rationing so at least he has to think carefully before he carpet bombs us with posts often contradictory and always patronising, arrogant and derisory, not even in a humorous way.

I shall revert to placing him on ignore, that will help me at least and I shall leave him alone for a bit, if only he could be expected to act similarly everything would be fine.

Our moderators are lovely people with jobs and lives and we can't expect them to police every post on here. They do a pretty good job, usually standing back with a sense of humour and a grip on reality.

You may have heard of the recent 'Twitter attack' on footballer Phil Neville's world cup commentary on the BBC, some of the tweets including death threats directed at the wrong Phil Neville. The often aggressive attacks started because some people thought Neville's commentary was a bit monotone. Weird how armchair internet users get wound up over nothing.

I get a lot of attacks here simply because I post a lot, much of it passing on the windsurfing news of the day and weather updates.
    I have done this for over ten years in parts of the Forum I set up with Bill Dawes – such as the weather and HWIFY sections. Because of that, I guess I get attacked because I am here – like a shop assistant behind a counter to complain to – as if posting windsurfing news was some sort of a sin.
    I also get attacked because I windsurf a lot and I guess most people don't have that freedom.

This forum is self-moderating and I don't generally respond to attacks even though I get called nasty names and swear words and have threads started about me and pictures posted which in the past have even been hacked from my Facebook pages – all of this is actually against Forum rules.

One thing I do do is to respond to mis-information – when people write scare-mongering posts about windsurf kit.

I have a readership in my mind which I think we are all serving, which includes many who are learning to windsurf.
    And I think we have a responsibility towards newbies and learners to provide correct information about boards and rigs.

So when someone drops a real clanger, that's when the rows tend to start. – For example, recommending buying a quad for flat water sailing or converting a board to multi fin for use on a lake is an obvious blooper from the past.
    This week's clanger is the idea that you can take a picture of a sail in motion and then draw conclusions from one freeze-frame about how the sail performs in the hands, about the mast match, or indeed make comments about where the harness lines should be.
    If you are having rigging or handling issues with a sail then best advice is to get someone else to look at it, with the kit in front of you both – or talk to someone with the same sail.

As far as self-moderation goes, ask yourself why you are posting something, and would you say the same thing to your mother or your sister? Or to a stranger, when face to face? To start a thread about somebody is a form of stalking and a bit weird. To set up fake IDs to double up your fire power in attacks is a sure sign you are a troll and a bully.
    If it's some frustration that is driving you to post nasty things on a Forum you might also ask yourself what else you could be doing with the time.

And, me, I'm off paddle boarding. No wind here today. Even less than forecast.
    Last edited by basher; 17th June 2014 at 02:09 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.