Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_poole View Post
    Just rang OTC, their sails are arriving in August. Simon Bornoffs' are pre production versions and they didn't know if he will be bringing the larger sizes.
    His 5m has 5 battens so am guessing they are. Will be there bright and early Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Adam View Post
    But how do you think it compares to your 5.2m Rock?
    They are sufficiently similar that I would need to try them back-to-back for longer / in more variety of conditions to say which I preferred. I had the Bolt for about 45 minutes, in b-&-J conditions, so didn't really get a chance to assess how it would be for waves. The rotation etc was very nice in the gybes, and the sail felt quite manoeuvrable & 'flicky' so I think it would actually be quite nice for wave riding - possibly even better than the Rock. Having one less batten seemed to me to have some plusses with no immediately obvious negative effects.

There may be other other negatives in the Windsurf write-up though. Speaking to them yesterday they were criticising the lack of sufficient protection around the new in-built pulley. It's left very exposed and in a position to do harm to your board. Whereas even the cheapest other sail (the 'Attitude' I think) had a much better padded fairing with a velcro fixing to undo it instantly, plus a velcro bag inside to store excess rope. Comparing them you can't help thinking that Tushingham could do a bit better with these kind of details.
    two boards, five fins, y posiblemente un poco de viento esta semana
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic book: Nobody's Poodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    House & Apartment for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    They are sufficiently similar that I would need to try them back-to-back for longer / in more variety of conditions to say which I preferred. I had the Bolt for about 45 minutes, in b-&-J conditions, so didn't really get a chance to assess how it would be for waves. The rotation etc was very nice in the gybes, and the sail felt quite manoeuvrable & 'flicky' so I think it would actually be quite nice for wave riding - possibly even better than the Rock. Having one less batten seemed to me to have some plusses with no immediately obvious negative effects.

There may be other other negatives in the Windsurf write-up though. Speaking to them yesterday they were criticising the lack of sufficient protection around the new in-built pulley. It's left very exposed and in a position to do harm to your board. Whereas even the cheapest other sail (the 'Attitude' I think) had a much better padded fairing with a velcro fixing to undo it instantly, plus a velcro bag inside to store excess rope. Comparing them you can't help thinking that Tushingham could do a bit better with these kind of details.
    Hi SB are you dead set on buying a tushy sail or are you open to suggestions ?

if the Windsurf team are out there with all this kit on the beach and happy to oblige why not try a few other brands ?

i would have a look at the simmer icon's in a 5.3m size for the on-shore stuff at medano

if you feel that doesn't fit the bill and feels to powerful try a blacktip

even if you are still set on a tushy give them a whirl and give us a write up on them and any others you like the look of ?

i am curious to see what a real world Joe sailor thinks of the difference between kit / price / build quality and how they feel when sailing we could then compare this to the test results when published and see if the findings differ ?

cheers Max

Quote Originally Posted by max111 View Post
    Hi SB
    even if you are still set on a tushy give them a whirl and give us a write up on them and any others you like the look of ?

i am curious to see what a real world Joe sailor thinks of the difference between kit / price / build quality and how they feel when sailing we could then compare this to the test results when published and see if the findings differ ?

cheers Max

My thinking too.
    I'd much like to hear it from you SB.

yep, might do that Max. Yesterday I asked if they had a Severne to try, but they didn't (I think they may be waiting for more stuff to arrive). On the beach they had RRD, North, and Attitude sails as well as the Bolt.

Nope, not stuck on Tushingham. Just that I've had them for a few years and got Tush masts. A friend with a business next to the factory brings them out for us. Living here I quite like being the only one with a different make - everyone else has Severne, NP, North, Simmer, Gun (teutonic tourists) etc
    two boards, five fins, y posiblemente un poco de viento esta semana
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic book: Nobody's Poodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    House & Apartment for sale

Any Loft Sails there SB?