Default Extension Length - North XT - Too much extension?

Hi Guys - I know this topic has been roughly covered before but I just wanted to get a clear answer as to what to do.

My current quiver is very minimal:
    100% 460 mast (I have a spare as well)
    7.8 2 cam - 486 luff
    6.5 2 cam - 464 luff

I have a 42cm north shox xtr extension - and although it is fine for the 7.8, how much of an effect on performance would it have on the 6.5? (only needing 4cm extension)

Is it worth going through the hassle of buying another extension? I don't have enough money to buy another as good as the shox xtr, I do have a spare standard 42cm extension that I could saw down.

All in all - will having this much extension in the mast cause a significant performance defect and risk more breakages?

Mike

Its not a problem at all. It will be stronger set with minimal extension.
    Going to interviews, hence wind is back. In case you were wondering...

FOR SALE:
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. 80

PM me for more details/pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
    Its not a problem at all. It will be stronger set with minimal extension.
    Cheers, given me a little bit of confidence!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this topic?

Quote Originally Posted by abeeb View Post
    Cheers, given me a little bit of confidence!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this topic?
    Billyboy is right.

What would be the advantage of a shorter extension? Less weight and avoiding the extension to get stuck in the mast?
    The less weigh is very little one and in a place in the rig where saving weigh will have the least effect.
    Getting stuck in the mast? I do not think that is a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Asle View Post
    Billyboy is right.

What would be the advantage of a shorter extension? Less weight and avoiding the extension to get stuck in the mast?
    The less weigh is very little one and in a place in the rig where saving weigh will have the least effect.
    Getting stuck in the mast? I do not think that is a problem?
    you need to get to ALDI and but some luggage scales they have loads if you think it doesn't affect the weight

abeeb why do you think there will be an issue ? it's up the mast out the way

if you use extension's at the other extreme to far extended and not enough up the mast there may be some issue's but your way is fine
    Last edited by max111; 18th May 2014 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by max111 View Post
    you need to get to ALDI and but some luggage scales they have loads if you think it doesn't affect the weight

abeeb why do you think there will be an issue ? it's up the mast out the way

if you use extension's at the other extreme to far extended and not enough up the mast there may be some issue's but your way is fine
    Cheers max, I thought that there could be an issue with it affecting the bend characteristics of the mast and potentially putting pressure points higher, causing damage to the mast - didn't have a concern for weight

Thanks for the help anyway

Quote Originally Posted by abeeb View Post
    Cheers max, I thought that there could be an issue with it affecting the bend characteristics of the mast and potentially putting pressure points higher, causing damage to the mast - didn't have a concern for weight

Thanks for the help anyway
    I would expect the mast to flex and curve higher up than that especially on a 4.60m