Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Grooverider View Post

I should have stuck with Basher's advice...
    You should, but then it's not too late I hear he's offering expert SUP counsel now he's had one a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile on the broadband in the sticks subject, we do have that fibre stuff but it's pretty damn expensive and there is also some other Ethenet to exchange product, no idea how they do that unless their going to dig up the road and take Cat 5 to the box.

Sounds like we have a resident expert in Max, we should get 'Nasty Broadband' advice more often..

Quote Originally Posted by Bmg253 View Post
    I guess most of us should be moving to Christchurch!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27066299

Sail at Avon during the day & bingo in the evenings
    Seriously? That place will have to go some to beat Hythe as the capitol for age concern, we get grid locked mobility scooters and a right nuisance they are to and abusive.

Glad to be Grey? I like that, I shall have to use that some time in the near future when those Daughters of Lunnon Darkness girls come down and 'reach out to me' with their infernal management speak..

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    You should, but then it's not too late I hear he's offering expert SUP counsel now he's had one a couple of weeks.
    to be fair, after a couple of weeks he probably could give a fair appraisal of the merits of bipedalism when kayaking.
    JP Magic Ride 118 Pro - Witchcraft Chakra 105 HD

a cacophony of north sails and masts

Quote Originally Posted by quayfee View Post
    OK, so a quick question to Max11...

Max, you said copper could only take 2Mb, but until I went on to FTTP (yes, 'p', not 'c', I'm lucky ;0) ), I was on ADSL2+ with a steady 18Mb down and 10Mb up. I'm about 1k from the exchange here. BT engineers that have been here always said that the copper lines to the exchange could take up to about 18Mb but that the drop in speed was a fairly steady line, whereas FTTC / FTTP have a longer range and don't have the same level of dropoff in the fibre, but when it drops out of range it's like a cliff... So my question is why is copper only capable of handing 2Mb. Not saying you're wrong, just want to understand coz I'm interested. I often get clients asking me about this stuff, even though I do web sites, not internet connections... you know what it's like

This subject interests me also because I'm likely to be moving to 'proper rural' Cornwall in the next year or so.

Hi, the amount of data you can get down copper depends on the modems you stick either end of it. There are currently three flavours, ADSL (>8Meg) ADSL2(>20Meg) and VDSL. If you look at the link I posted before it shows what modems are in the exchange and what you might expect to get as a max speed. Anothe good site is "think broadband" which has some nice introductory articles on broadband.

Do Witchcraft provide broadband? Surely that would be the way forward.
    It is what it is.