Default Saturday 26th April

Windier than forecast inland. Guru was calling for 14 knots with gusts to 18 at QM but it built during the early afternoon up to 18 knots. I was overpowered on my 8.0 but I couldn't be bothered to rig a smaller sail so I tried to depower with extra outhaul.

Several high speed catapults where the rig pulled forwards despite my best efforts and the board turned downwind out of control. Not a great session because with so much outhaul the sail felt twitchy.

Next time I will go back in and rig something smaller.

I managed an amazing recovery. While going fast I got slammed by a header and ended up with my back skimming the water. I hung on and gradually got pulled back upright waterstart style!

Nice sunny spells and by mid afternoon we had 15 windsurfers out on the water.

A bit stronger on the coast. 23 knots gusting 30 at Hamworthy virtually due South. Good session with a 6m Storm and Kode 94.

Had a lovely time at the inn on the Beach, Hayling on a Mistral classic 105 that someone gave me, using the Fin from my 120 Gecko and my 6.7, then one of the footstraps broke (it hadn't been used for 10 years) so I got the Gecko out. My stance was all wrong, never got comfy and even the sail felt unbalanced. It brought into focus all the problems I've been having since I came back to sailing: clearly my sailing style is just wrong for modern boards! I'm going to have to sort some coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.e View Post
    I'm going to have to sort some coaching.
    If you sail at Hayling, do you know Phil and Danielle? Great coaching, pretty inexpensive and local too!
    Tacking is the new gybing.....

I am in contact with them as we speak! I met Phil earlier in the day Saturday, had a chat and have e mailed them. That is plan "A", if that doesn't work plan "B" could actually be: well if I'm comfy on old school kit that I can get pretty much for free, maybe at 55 yrs old that is the way to go? I'm sure that the new kit is better if you are starting out, but with 10 years experience on old school stuff, and maybe only a few years sailing ahead of me perhaps it is not worth the effort of converting? I spent nearly 1500 on a board and quiver that I'm not getting on with and have subsequently been given almost enough stuff for free to do without it: I wanted a fin and straps for the Mistral, fins 90 min straps not cheap, Mistral deck plates available on e bay from Germany: today I bought a Mistral Explosion for 10 with everything I needed and if I wanted could even sail the board. I'm starting to think I went down the wrong route buying newer kit!

I am 63 and reckon to have a good few years of windsurfing ahead of me yet mate..........55?.......Spring Chicken!! Maybe your problem with more modern kit is that you are really not understanding the right conditions for it.....and the difference between the older designs and the new designs. forget volume, it is mostly about width of board. In my opinion taking into account the design differences, your Gecko is something like 3 board sizes bigger than your Mistral!
    If you were OK sailing an "old School " mistral 105 litre that would likely be 60 or maybe 62 cm wide with a thin tail, dependant on your weight and skill level, to plane comfortably on that board it must have been reasonably windy. You are comparing that to a board that is 77cm wide and designed to get going in much lighter winds...and to emulate a more old school type length and width of board of about 130 litres. You would also need a pretty powerful sail to pin down a board of that width in rougher water conditions. I weight 77 kgs and if I had the choice of those 2 boards I would use the 105 in about bft 6 and the Gecko in a good bft 3! Of course it depends how you set up the board...inboard or outboard straps, size of fin, type and size of sail etc .

Well I shoved the Gecko fin on the Mistral and it just worked, I used to use my old screamer with about 30-32cm fins, and sails around 5-6m, this was a 37cm fin and a 6.7m sail, I thought it was the sort of conditions the Gecko was designed for though it was a bit bumpy! The main issue is that whatever the conditions, I can't seem to get comfy on the new board and I just shoved whatever I had on the old mistral and instantly felt at home. I had the straps inboard on the Gecko and still felt they were hard to get into. Re the age thing, I have had a bit of damage over the years, I went to a chiropractor when I was in my mid 40's and he told me the level of joint wear I had was typical of someone in their mid 60's :-) so I may not go on as long as you.