Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Longboard decision

Hey !

I know this is not a racing question, but I figured I would get the best response here, since I dont see a longboard section, and the boards I am looking at are raceboards.

I am looking at the Exocet RS D2 Sport (ASA heavy version) and the 2011 Exocet Elite 380. I am planning to buy one of these two boards very soon (like tomorrow). I am leaning towards the RS D2, but wanted to get some opinions from people who have tried them. My details:

• 95kg
    • Want board with good range for superlight wind sailing
    • Will likely buy a 9.5 Raceboard sail to go with the board
    • I dont race
    • Sail mostly in large Lake Ontario Canada with low wind (5-15knots), gusty, 1' to 2' chop minimum.
    • I am an intermediate sailor.
    • Comfort and fun in low wind conditions is more important than all out speed (although I do want to plane as early as possible)
    • Never owned a longboard before, but eager to learn
    • The more time on the water, the better
    • I am hard on my gear (catapault a lot)

Both boards are around the same price, with the Elite being about 5% cheaper. Which one would you recommend to me as a recreational sailor for lightwind in moderate chop?

Thanks !!!!!

I suggest you post your question on the longboard windsurfing forum lbwindsurfing.com.

You may also find discussions about these boards on existing lbwindsurfing threads.

From your description of your experience level you might do better to buy a good second hand longboard such as a Mistral or F2. The old boards are just as good as the new ones and yiu will save a large amount of money. Go for the modern board once you have improved yourtechnique.

I'm 98kg and I use a Kona One. Much more fun in the same sort of horrible chop as it's a fantastic footsteerer (when planing), still more than enough volume to rail upwind, great fun to rail ride and do all the old school freestyle tricks on.

Race boards are great.........for racing. Or just burning up and downwind but are pretty crap for anything else. You'll want REALLY big sail, mast and boom to get planing properly early and that's very expensive but also not fun to sail with.

Where do you sail on Lake Ontario? Canada side? US side? I spent some time mucking around on the various beaches between Oshawa and Scarborough when I was over there. You'd have good fun in 15-20 knots on a freestyle board.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

I don't know about the D2 but I've sailed the Elite 380 which suffers with being a bit nose divey off wind, which may not be a big problem on the water you are proposing to use it. I'd however like Lostboy, recommend the Kona, much more fun it's a long board that handles like a mid size short board, can be sailed well at displacement speeds but also gybes well in planing conditions, a great platform to learn to waterstart, carve gybe and elementary short board planing skills, plus it's a great touring cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by AJE View Post
    I suggest you post your question on the longboard windsurfing forum lbwindsurfing

You may also find discussions about these boards on existing lbwindsurfing threads.

From your description of your experience level you might do better to buy a good second hand longboard such as a Mistral or F2. The old boards are just as good as the new ones and yiu will save a large amount of money. Go for the modern board once you have improved yourtechnique.
    Thanks for the tips. I have tried about 20 times on two different computers and internet browsers to register as a new user on lbwindsurfing.com, as it would seem like the logical place to post this thread. However, the captcha doesnt show on registration, making it impossible to complete the process. If anyone can inform the lbwindsurfing website admins of this problem, that would be great.

I have been looking around for an old board, and found a couple. An old Fanatic Ultra Cat and a Mistral Equipe. However, the sellers are asking for too much, in my opinion for 20 year old boards. Also, from what I have read of the Exocet D2 and the videos I have seen, it seems like it would offer a more enjoyable ride in very light wind conditions (i.e. less than 10 knots). Check out this video of the D2 in 5-10knots

The other issue with old boards is things breaking and parts. I really dont want to deal with tracking down old parts when something inevitably breaks. That being said, if the right deal comes along on a old longboard, Ill jump on it.

From comments here and elsewhere, I am ruling out the 380 Elite. I am still very interested in the RS D2, if anyone has any comments on that board.

I have heard a lot of great things about the Kona One, and have considered that board. However, I still think the RS D2 looks like more fun in the very lightwind. Of course, I have no experience with either, so anyone Id love to hear from anyone who has tried both.

I have an old 169L F2 Xantos and a 2013 JP Xcite ride 134 for when the wind picks up and is more stable. So, if the Kona is consistently planing, then I probably would switch to a shortboard anyway. I talked to a guy with a Starboard 377, and he said the Kona is no where even close to the lightwind performance of the Starboard.

Ill be using a 9.5 raceboard specific sail. Will that work fine on an Equipe or UltraCat?

Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    I'm 98kg and I use a Kona One. Much more fun in the same sort of horrible chop as it's a fantastic footsteerer (when planing), still more than enough volume to rail upwind, great fun to rail ride and do all the old school freestyle tricks on.

Race boards are great.........for racing. Or just burning up and downwind but are pretty crap for anything else. You'll want REALLY big sail, mast and boom to get planing properly early and that's very expensive but also not fun to sail with.

Where do you sail on Lake Ontario? Canada side? US side? I spent some time mucking around on the various beaches between Oshawa and Scarborough when I was over there. You'd have good fun in 15-20 knots on a freestyle board.
    Yeah, I keep hearing great things about the Kona. I am on the Canada side in Toronto, not far from the Toronto Windsurfing club. They apparently have a bunch of sailors with them down there, so I will try and get my hands on one for a demo. Once I hit 15-20 knots, Ill likely move to one of my shortboards

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    I don't know about the D2 but I've sailed the Elite 380 which suffers with being a bit nose divey off wind, which may not be a big problem on the water you are proposing to use it. I'd however like Lostboy, recommend the Kona, much more fun it's a long board that handles like a mid size short board, can be sailed well at displacement speeds but also gybes well in planing conditions, a great platform to learn to waterstart, carve gybe and elementary short board planing skills, plus it's a great touring cruiser.
    Thanks for the tips and your comments on the 380. I keep hearing Kona One from everyone, including the shop that is selling me the boards. Ill try and get a ride on one. There is virtually no chance of getting a demo ride on the Exocet D2, unfortunately. It would be great to compare them with a 9.5 sail in lightwind.