Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Booms.........again

Yes I know...it has all been discussed before but both on this and other forums ( fora ?) I have checked there seems to be no conclusions arrived at. I think it was Talljames last time round that was looking for advice.

I recently changed my slalom boom and bulked at the price of a carbon in slalom/race sizing so ended up buying a premium alloy boom...North Gold. I have decided it is probably time to think about updating my fsw boom(s) and I am going through all of the same problems of deciding what to get all over again. There is a difference now however because I am looking at smaller wave booms which are considerably cheaper ( in most cases) for carbon than race booms.

So I have decided I am going for carbon not alloy............but which one!!!!!!!!

I usually use 2 different size booms to cover 4.7m through to 6m.........just to ensure neither boom is used at more than half extension. So now I wonder if I can get away with just one boom to cover the range ( c 162.5 to 188) on the basis that using a carbon boom closer to full extension is not a recipe for an early bath???

In the absence of being able to go to a couple of shops and actually see any of these options, can anyone give me feedback on any of the following? I am especially interested in just how stiff some of these are at say 25 cm extension.

Amex One off
    Amex Carbon Pro
    Unifibre Carbon ( 100c)
    MK CP111

.....there is a reason it is a hard choice when considering those 3 brands.

Just noticed another brand called 211..........boom looks identical to an Aeron though.

..it is... & Unifiber is the same fitting as Aeron 4 years ago... the they used to be the same as Amex & MK which are the same.

The latest Unifiber Carbon booms models can be found on our site; http://4boards.co.uk/shop/windsurf/windsurf-booms/

We have the 140-190 RDG 26mm in stock, it certainly seems to be a very well made piece of kit, The owner of Unifiber weighs 95kg, he regularly uses this model wave sailing in the North Sea and says he has every confidence that it is suitable for heavy weight sailors.

Prices are very competitive, there is an additional 5% discount and free shipping available when ordering online using coupon code BM0414.

Bob, 4boards.co.uk

North Platinum. Best front, great shape, stiffer than Basher on a lakeside in SA.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

I've got the One Off & it feels stiff as hell to me, even at 50cm extension. I seem to recall you're a Poole regular? I'll almost certainly be at Sandbanks tomorrow (harbour side) if you wanted to try it out.
    Loose - the opposite of tight. Lose - the one that's pronounced 'looze'.