Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13 53 59 60 61 62 63
    Quote Originally Posted by TallJames View Post
    Thats what I've got. I love it. I'm 98kg though and can get away with the 9'5 as well if it's very flat water so if your substantially lighter I'd think about that, as soon as there's a bit of chop or wind I need the float the 10'5 has. Works on the flat and well in up to head high, although when waves are that big something a lot more surfy would be ideal.
    IMO the most made Mistake with SUP is that people go quickly too short because they think the bigger board will hold them back.
    What most of them should do is properly walk the board. If you step back you can turn pretty tight, even with an 11ft board.
    The benefits of a taller board is that they are more stable, faster in the flats and paddling out and quicker catch a wave so are less critical in pre-positioning in the line up.
    Once you have a wave with enough punch/steepness a smaller board is more maneuverable, but that won,t brings you nothing if you are falling in all the time and don,t make it outside, falling in while catching the wave or when it rolls under you because you are 1-2m out of position.
    And even then, with a bigger board you can still ride some serious waves as well.

I,m paddling now since 2007 and the last 2years I like it even over wavesailing.
    There are by far guys better in SUP as i am, because i,m rather stiff and often standing to upright, but to be honest, i,m not to bad either, but I really have to work my ass of to catch a wave on the 8.5pro as soon as there is a little chop.
    When its really choppy the 8.8Airborne is also hard work.
    From time to time guys who have less experience (but still paddling a deent 2m wave) and having a 10fter wanna try my 8.8 because when I catch a wave it looks so maneuvrable, but most of them come back after 15min and tell me they want there 10ft back because they didnt catch a wave and see me having all the fun multiplying my wavescore on there big board making turns with it they didnt know the board was able to do.
    That aren,t my supermanskills (or toe-in ) but just stepping back as soon as you have glide, and properly using the paddle to help steering.
    188x90kg 42y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Fextail 96l + Witchcraft Haka86 CBC + 2015 Goya Quad 118

2014/15/16 Hotsails Firelight 6.0 KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+Firelight3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUPtarboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroensurf View Post
    IMO the most made Mistake with SUP is that people go quickly too short because they think the bigger board will hold them back.
    What most of them should do is properly walk the board. If you step back you can turn pretty tight, even with an 11ft board.
    The benefits of a taller board is that they are more stable, faster in the flats and paddling out and quicker catch a wave so are less critical in pre-positioning in the line up.
    Once you have a wave with enough punch/steepness a smaller board is more maneuverable, but that won,t brings you nothing if you are falling in all the time and don,t make it outside, falling in while catching the wave or when it rolls under you because you are 1-2m out of position.
    And even then, with a bigger board you can still ride some serious waves as well.

I,m paddling now since 2007 and the last 2years I like it even over wavesailing.
    There are by far guys better in SUP as i am, because i,m rather stiff and often standing to upright, but to be honest, i,m not to bad either, but I really have to work my ass of to catch a wave on the 8.5pro as soon as there is a little chop.
    When its really choppy the 8.8Airborne is also hard work.
    From time to time guys who have less experience (but still paddling a deent 2m wave) and having a 10fter wanna try my 8.8 because when I catch a wave it looks so maneuvrable, but most of them come back after 15min and tell me they want there 10ft back because they didnt catch a wave and see me having all the fun multiplying my wavescore on there big board making turns with it they didnt know the board was able to do.
    That aren,t my supermanskills (or toe-in ) but just stepping back as soon as you have glide, and properly using the paddle to help steering.
    I don't think I'm anywhere near as good as that, but agree with you completely, it's why I went for the bigger board in the end. As soon as it got wobbly it was much better. To date I've not felt held back on the wave, but I'm starting to become aware of points when a more manouverable board would give me something extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    Good job! Nice looking piece.
    What width is the blade? (looks wide)

And how did it go? Any modification needed?
    It's big, 9 1/2 at its absolute max but that is only a small part of it. It's 100 inches in area which is big by today's standards.
    It won't get used in anger, mostly used for drifting along the coast with the wife, a bit of time and effort experiment, going to make a more dedicated distance and surf paddle next.
    Friends have said it belongs on the wall and not to use it as it's so pretty but I have the attitude that things are there to be used and any use damage is part of having fun.
    We had a 22second swell period last night but only about 6 inch in height. See what happens when the tide turns.

If I lived at a perfect little swell location where you got small waves and no wind then I would be on a smaller SUP more often. I have a small ish Fanatic pro-wave, but in reality that does not get used very often because its a challenge when there is any wind or chop. Probably going even smaller and thinner would be better as a tiny board should sink below the chop etc. But I'm just not good enough to enjoy wobbling around the line up. I want to be mobile and fast and able to catch the ones that surfers cant catch! So it turns out that most of the time I use my 9'8"x30" Starboard. The wave count on that thing is amazing and, as Jeroen says, the feels of cross stepping to the tail and fading up the wave before pivoting down the line is fantastic.

If you can get one with a rig insert, I think it will help for the resale value. I know you have the other longboard JB but for a windsurfer who doesn't, the mast track is a must. On Friday, the wind dropped too much for my waveboard so I just shoved the rig on the SUP and carried on for an hour, then it dropped more and I grabbed a paddle for another hour.
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

Thanks gmac- good point re mast track and potential resale, and it's unlikely I will be at the beach with a SUP and Longboard at the same time anyway. I see the SUP as primarily part of my coastal set up, and who knows, maybe shoving the blade 5.3 on it might just appeal once I actually try it.
    hostis humani generis

Resale of sups is phenomenal. I sold my last one for more than I paid for it (I bought is secondhand).

One other factor for the size of board in surf is what happens when you get worked. My previous 11ft board felt like a liability in surf over chest high. Whereas yesterday getting worked in head high waves at kimmeridge was fun on my 9'3. It's lighter, smaller and pops through the wave a lot easier so you don't get the 'towed under water by your ankle' sensation.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

+1 for what rod says. I am happy on my 7'10" in bigger waves (or at least as happy as I would be surfing!) but I get uncomfortable on my 9'8" once it gets bigger and more powerful.

I don't find the smaller board very difficult to catch waves on either and it works well even when its small. the main drawback is when its choppy (as already mentioned) and waiting between sets which is very tiring unless you sit down. Once you sit down though you lose one of the big advantages of SUP over surfing and that is being able to see the sets earlier and get in position quickly. On the 7'10 I tend to stay in one place - hopefully where there is a decent peak - but that often puts you in a crowd and on beach breaks the peaks move around so its easy to be out of position. On the 9'8" I feel like the whole beach is my oyster and I can often find waves to myself just by being constantly mobile. On holiday there was a day of chest high onshore short period waves - it was too choppy for the 7'10" so I went out on the 9'8". My mate was surfing and he pretty much had to get lucky with a wave coming to him and him having priority over all the other surfers - since I was mobile I just picked off everything that stood up wide of the surfers, or the bigger sets that they had to duck dive. I caught waves constantly without stealing anything or getting in anyone's way - my wave count was about 20-1 compared to my mate! I could not have done that on a small board...
    Going to interviews, hence wind is back. In case you were wondering...

FOR SALE:
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. 80

PM me for more details/pics.