Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
    I'm watching again today and I can't help wondering if they would be having more fun on these fat waves and wobbly conditions on floatier boards. Once SUP boards get almost as small as surf boards you kind of lose all the good things that SUP gives you over surfing, so why not just surf?
    I'm sure a lot of these guys can surf – but it's an SUP competition. There are days on a windsurfer when you would be better off in a dinghy, but that's not what we do.

I am surprised how small some of these boards are though. Some are paddling out on boards that sit in the water more than they sit on it.
    The commentator yesterday was suggesting one of the younger (smaller) guys was on 'too big' a board - and I guess that comment really is about having control on the choppy face of a bigger wave. They are on tri fins and quads but you can't disguise the sheer volume of the board when trying to hold a rail in the chop.
    In the wind yesterday, some of the boards were also blowing around a lot. If you have offshore winds then the wind accelerating up the wave face could easily lift the nose of a big board right out of the water. Yesterday, this seemed to be the cause of some riders losing their board on the wave lip. (Or that's how it looked to my amateur eyes).

But this is also a developing extreme for the varied and growing sport of SUP. I watched the Kai Lenny heat this morning and can see why he's miles ahead of the others. He has the balance of a cat, and can rip up a wave on his small board. I wonder what he weighs and what litreage that board actually is?

The livestream seems to be down at the moment.

Late edit: Stream back on now.
    Last edited by basher; 28th October 2014 at 12:22 PM.
    Blank space

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
    I'm watching again today and I can't help wondering if they would be having more fun on these fat waves and wobbly conditions on floatier boards. Once SUP boards get almost as small as surf boards you kind of lose all the good things that SUP gives you over surfing, so why not just surf?
    I would like to see someone on an 10 foot Starboard out there. There's so many waves going through unridden, a big plank would be awesome. The guy on the little cut-off half board is barely hitting the lip anyway, I'd rather see someone manning up to the drop on something heavy and huge!! Either that or let the local riders out there to entertain the cameras between the pro-rides.
    "Kiting's fine, but it ain't windsurfing"

They are on quarter finals this morning at La Torche with live action here:

http://watermanleague.com

The women's heats are well underway, and then they will have a meeting for the men to see if conditions are still suitable for their quarter finals.

The waves are smaller today and the tide height makes a big difference to the La Torche wave quality.

But the contest could well go through to the finals today.

We've got this on and it was weird to recognise the voice of the commentator – who turns out to be Waterman League CEO and the La Torche event organiser, Tristan Boxford.
    Some of you guys might remember Tristan Boxford as the ex-PWA competitor, British born and sailing under K-35 back in the day*.
    His commentary is the best they've had at this event so far.

*And British wavesailing champion in 2000?
    Last edited by basher; 29th October 2014 at 08:35 AM.
    Blank space