Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

OT, The SUP thread

OK, Easter is coming and the wind forecast is not good.

Some of you will be looking to SUP instead and maybe it's time we had a dedicated SUP thread.
    (I'm saving up to buy one but don't know where to start.)

So spread the love here:

What SUPs are you on?
    What sizes, and what are you using yours for surf or distance paddling etc?
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

I've had a Starboard SUP for a couple of years now, it's 11'2 x 30.5" (I think). Used on the sea and for river cruises, the longst being a 4-hour 24km cruise down the River Arun. Fairly basic (cheap) paddle, but might upgrade to a lighter carbon jobbie if funds permit. The board has a mast track but I've never actually put a rig on it (kids have, mind). I'm so used to windsurfing with a bigger fin that it would take a lot of adjustment to windSUP with a diddly fin.

Its a good alrounder but a bit long for manoeuvring in the surf, so am thinking of getting a shorter more versatile board for the surf (again money permitting).

I've had a *board 9'8" x 30 for years. I've only ever really used it for waves and windSUP and its served me pretty well as an entry level board. I now crave something shorter (but still wide for choppy water and/or weak waves) for snappier turns. In fact I wish I'd had something shorter from the start, but they weren't available then.

One thing that is stopping me downsizing is that the 9'8" is still usable for flat water, and we recently got a 10'8" inflatable so my wife and I can do some flat water paddles together this summer (bless!) - I therefore need to keep the 9'8" (or replace it with something bigger) as well as getting a wave shredder and that makes it all a bit too expensive .

If I was looking for my first board for wave use these days I'd get something between 8' and 9' and at least 30" wide. Preferably with a mast insert for summer sail flicking or float and ride.

If I wanted something for flat water I would go for something dedicated to flat water and inflatable for easy storage (inflatable flat water boards are really good....)

If I wanted something for flat water and waves I save a bit longer and get 2 boards!

It's also worth getting a carbon paddle. It makes a big difference in your ability to accelerate and paddle fast, which in turn means its much easier to catch waves. They aren't too expensive 2nd hand either...

this is a good place to find 2nd hand kit:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/297547260346454/

I upgraded last year - been on the 11'2' *board for five years and it wasn't doing it for me in waves! I've got a Fanatic Ray for flat water which has rarely got wet and a Fanatic All Wave 9"5' which I adore - it's maybe a bit big but frankly catches everything, fun for cruising - its the same board I wind SUPed when we were in Shoreham a while back. I think SUPs are where windsurfing was 13 years ago, where they've got shorter and wider and easier - When I bought mine there was no way a fat lump like me could consider a 9 footer!

I'm headed to Cornwall Saturday - the swell looks magnificent!

I'm on an 8'6 by 30 wide wave board. I basically only ride waves. I really wouldn't want anything bigger, in fact I've thought of a touch smaller. Maybe like 8'2 30 wide, but cut out a touch more so less volume. I'm 65 kg.

As far as flat water, I've put my wife on my board, and she does just fine. I'm not sure, but I kinda think the volume thing is a bit in your mind. Because I've put guys my size on my board, and they couldnt even stand up, but then put my wife on it and told her it's just like her yoga class, and off she paddled.

I've had similar experience FF - some people seem to just take to it, others don't. My wife can paddle anything on flat water straight away - even a low volume wave slasher I rented - but a freind of mine (lighter than me and ex-gymnast, so presumably good balance!) couldn't stand for more than a couple of seconds on my voluminous 9'8" even after an hour of practice!

There are plenty of places to rent these days, so its easy to try before you buy and see what size you are comfortable with...

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post

There are plenty of places to rent these days, so its easy to try before you buy and see what size you are comfortable with...
    Are there rental places along the SE coast?
    It is what it is.