Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

It was JG that said he found the Natural gutless...not me. But I think he is right is saying that most sail designs have their optimum size. The brands extend the sizing up and down, often in my opinion beyond the reasonable limits for that design. I have found that about 6m is a reasonable max for a 5 batten rotational and 7m for a 6 batten rotational. I think a twin cam is a better bet at or beyond 7m, and 3 cams at 7.8 and beyond. Cammed sails of virtually any size work well however. There are some "stiff/high tension rotationals" like the NCX or North X Type that improves matters above 6.5/7m as well.
    I use slalom sails so I am perfectly used to very hard rotation to the extend that they can become very difficult to use in light winds ( but then they would not be rigged for anything short of full or overpowered conditions anyway!). So may be this is just a case of accepting that the sail will require a decent pump to rotate the battens................that said it could be improved with a different mast.

I also said I found it a pig to rig and get it to look right... no doubt if I had one of those Baker boys as a personal rigging monkey it would be better, however when buying a North natural, difficult to rig should not be in vernacular- it always was a basic freeride sail, nice enough, but basic. That was the point of it. My first sails were Naturals and I loved them back then, only came off them to get some sexy black Point 7 stuff.

I'm also comparing to a Natural I have in Spain, I'd guess it's a 2009/10 era, which was also an amazingly versatile sail- it's almost got my Rio planing once or twice!

longboarding is the new grooveriding

Yes, sorry, I realise it was Jimmy who commented on the low end grunt. It may be that our different experiences with the sail have to do with model year. Certainly, I don't think there is any design issue with a big no cam sail planing early. On the contrary, a big bag should be very good at getting you planing early. I certainly planed as early as anyone with an 8m+ cambered sail on my 7.3 Natural (2013).

For me, the issue with no cam sails has (pre e_type) been stability, not power. Where I lost out to the S-Type was in top speed and maintaining speed through the lulls. I had more than enough power and my rig was lighter so planing was never an issue for me. That said, because the cambered sails are more stable and have a wider wind range, the guys using them tend to be on bigger sails. When I'm out on my 7.3, they are normally on 8.6 or 9.5 and that helps overcome the weight issue.

Performance-wise, I think the e_type is now a complete match for the S-Type. Certainly my experience on the water is echoed by my dealer's advice not to bother with the S-Type. The e_type is signficiantly faster and more stable than the Natural. Top speed is on a par with 2/3 camber sails and I'm closer to the full race sails now than before. I have lost some of the Natural's low end power, but still plane earlier than the S-Type in the same size. There is no problem at all with rotation on the e_type because the battens don't press against the mast nearly as hard as the Natural. It doesn't need any pumping at all. Not sure exactly what high tension no cam sail means, but there is obviously something very clever going on with the battens on the e_type.

I don't think it's fair to say that the Natural is the same sail across the range. I noticed a clear difference between the 6.6 and the smaller sizes in terms of clew and leech design and even the 6.6 and 7.3 I had were quite different. They obviously didn't blow up the 5.4 to get to the 7.8. If you have the cash to upgrade, certainly have a look at the e_type and the S-Type but I would stick with the Natural for a while. Set it up to the middle of the VTS dots, put the recommended tension on the outhaul and see if you get used to it.

Here's an old video when I was just getting back into windsurfing where you can see the 6.6 and 7.3 in action. You can see how the battens go past the mast. Maybe this will help you to work out if yours has an issue. No comments on the crap sailing!

My Boards: 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l, 2013 Fanatic Gecko 105l