Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27

Thread: 2015 Equipment

Those Naish boards look very surf board outlines with the pulled in nose etc

PS
    if youre thinking / discussing new shapes - check the JP wave concaves in the video i posted here a while ago
    http://pembswindsurfing.blogspot.com
    Thoughts, Stories and Exploits from a DTL duffer!

Quote Originally Posted by na-omi View Post
    This came up for me whist out in PSC.
    Trip report please Naomi!!!!
    http://pembswindsurfing.blogspot.com
    Thoughts, Stories and Exploits from a DTL duffer!

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Those Naish boards look very surf board outlines with the pulled in nose etc

PS
    if youre thinking / discussing new shapes - check the JP wave concaves in the video i posted here a while ago
    Back in 1984 a Dutch friend of mine had a board with very similar deep concave setup. Remarkably similar. The reason I remember is that when I shaped my own boards I copied the concept for a wave board as for a fast board (it could be called slalom but at the time I just wanted a board fast to get into a plane. I am not pretending to say mine was perfect or as refined as the shapes master shapers do far from that. It was more poor man's necessity and ingenuity than trying to be shapers.

In the early stages of shape development in the first half of the eighties lots of good ideas were tried and then forgotten as the trends went in one direction or another. What did not work I guess was mostly because of the limitations in materials and computing that was not in use/affordable for the average surfboard shaper.

My speculation is that on top of being creative and inventive with shapes you have someone like, lets say Sven at Starboard, that could have made a compilation of many of the things that were tried in those early days of development and over the years refine them and tried them in what we later get to use ourselves.

And now if you excuse my rambling: I remember clearly reading an article in the American Windsurf Mag in, I guess, 1983 about a guy called Joey Cabell that had a custom made board and sails but more remarkably he had a custom made carbon boom with tapered narrow tubing, something unheard of for many years. I remember because the man was 40 years old at the time and I was impressed at 22 myself that someone could still be able to windsurf at that age...

So old ideas are recycled as time and technology allows, right?