Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

1st time out in 18yrs

So got out at Camber today after buying my 2nd hand gear, after a break of 18yrs (been kiting 15yrs, last 6 solely on a surfboard). I used to be a good standard, wave riding, backloops etc, so was hoping for it to come back quickly.

Boy, was I humbled, was knackered by the time I had carried the gear to the water! a couple of guys checked I was rigged right for me. It was cross shore 20-25mph with a nice swell, some shadow in close and a bit of downwind drift. The rig felt powered (5m Combat), but I could not get the board to bear away each time I beach started/waterstarted, screwing into wind and falling, after 30 mins I was wasted, so rigged my kite/ Surfboard combo and rode the waves for an hour.

The wind had filled in a lot more, so moved the mast foot all the way forward (they were a lot further forward in my day), and had another go. This time I got up and could get it to go downwind more, but although the rig felt powered I was wallowing and having to force the nose downwind all the time. Wrestled for another 30 mins till my arms gave up.

Help, what am I doing wrong?

mike

Mike - the wind was relatively light and patchy today. I suspect that anyone of a normal 75kg + size would have struggled a bit with a 78 litre JP FSW. I was on a 99ltr and having to pump to keep things moving all the time. Probably with a bit more solid wind things would have got moving easier,. Practice is the key. There may also have been a bit of current flowing at Camber and that could be pulling you around as well. I imagine that you would be less likely to notice this on your kiteboard.
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

Well it could be a combination of a whole lot of things, but probably the key issues would be good old Mast Foot Pressure (MFP), stance, not sheeting in efficiently, and perhaps being a bit underpowered (or under boarded) given your long lay-off.

If you're patient I wouldn't be surprised if it all comes together after a few more sessions of getting used to the new kit - must feel very different to 18 year old equipment. Good luck !

"Being patient" might mean going back to basics - just getting used to planing in the straps again when well powered up on a bigger board & sail in moderate wind, looking at some modern technique videos, perhaps even getting a refresher session with a guru ?
    Last edited by Silicon Beach; 8th April 2014 at 02:35 PM.
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic books: Nobody's Poodle and just published: Somebody's Doodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef

Good that you're back on a board, Mike.
    What board is it that you bought?
    Use you legs to actively push the boards nose off the wind, and keep your weight over the board (not outboard), and pump and tease the board onto the plane. When into the straps, still use the legs to keep the nose of the board off the wind until you're up to speed and get more in tune with your new gear.

The rip can be quite bad at camber, pulling your fin downwind and forcing the nose upwind, and you just flop back in the water like a reverse waterstart? bigger rig for more power, or get your speed up and be fully planing by the time you start hitting whitewater, the rip runs in bands and your best weapon is speed.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

I agree that it is a problem of being underpowered.
    It is what it is.

Camber wouldn't be my first choice for a return to the sport. It can be pretty punishing (and rewarding). I would sail somewhere different just to get the feel for it again. Sounds like it wont' take more than a session if you were at a high standard before. No point in making it hard for yourself. Hastings/Hythe/Bexhill/Eastbourne?
    Trying not to work too hard.

I agree with gutted - have a session or two somewhere easier first. That rip at camber makes things much harder than they could be. Get a couple of easy sessions under your belt and you'll be back there enjoying it in no time...