Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

What is THE bullet proof carbon wave boom?

After a very nice wave session today at my home spot, my 1 year old carbon Aeron boom looked like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0150.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	9897

I was naively thinking that a carbon boom would last me at least a couple of years, but apparently that depends. My previous alloy Aeron booms all bend within the year, but I liked the front end of Aeron booms with their wide clamps.

Over the last couple of years I've made my kit as bomb proof as possible out of necessity (WitchCraft boards, Ezzy masts and sails, Streamline base, Chinook extensions) but it seems I need a better boom also.

Can some of the "demolition men" here give me some of their advice / experience (Rod, please feel addressed ).

Thxs

My chinook carbon is on its 3rd year (bought second hand from Phil Horrocks* so it must be 4 years old now - it's the 'new' shape). It is my only boom and gets used around 60 sessions a year. So far so good. The front end is very nice on rdms too. very secure and easy to do up and doesn't slip. So it gets my vote - but I expect there are others just as good.

Somehow I'm not surprised about the Aeron - it seems their alloy booms don't last very long at all - there are many reports on here of them bending and breaking after a short period of use.

Like you I used to have alloy booms (chinooks) and they never lasted more than 18months.

On extensions - treat yourself to a witchcraft extension - then you can use it at 30cm and not worry.

*the logic buying it from someone that had probably completely thrashed it was that if he couldn't break it I doubt I would either - good logic so far
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

btw looks like nice conditions in that pic.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

AL360 and/or tecnolimits. I have broken other carbon booms, but these are years old.
    Not had a chinook pro1, but i have no doubt that they would be class also.
    BWA Tour Director

Quote Originally Posted by bman18 View Post
    After a very nice wave session today at my home spot, my 1 year old carbon Aeron boom looked like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0150.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	9897

I was naively thinking that a carbon boom would last me at least a couple of years, but apparently that depends. My previous alloy Aeron booms all bend within the year, but I liked the front end of Aeron booms with their wide clamps.

Over the last couple of years I've made my kit as bomb proof as possible out of necessity (WitchCraft boards, Ezzy masts and sails, Streamline base, Chinook extensions) but it seems I need a better boom also.

Can some of the "demolition men" here give me some of their advice / experience (Rod, please feel addressed ).

Thxs
    AL360 E3 Carbon

And when you break you ezzy mast look at the Maverx masts

I have a tecnolimits that I bought 2nd hand and must be 6+ years old now. Had to replace the clips this year, but apart from that its still going strong. Booms are the only thing I regularly break - at least they were until I got this one.

Also good experience from Technolimits XTR, apart from having to replace clips. The latest NP X9 is very solid. I know of only two broken, both at major speed crashes in over 40 knots with 100 kg pilots resulting in completely destroyed rigs.

Two good friends have the AL360, also seems very durable. I've borrowed it a few times, it is solid. One of them broke everything last year - sails, masts, extensions, boards, the works. But not his 3 yr old AL360. Only the grip is a bit worn, but he is Rod-hardish on gear.
    Rig - Simmer Black Tips 3.7 - 5.3, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100 and Flikka 95 (proto)

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden