Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Been on the Sauvignon tonight Bash?

I have a Tush Lightning- it's not a race board sail- it's designed to be set up with the downhaul right for the conditions- one assumes for reaching. That was Mike's observation earlier on on this thread- quite rightly questioning 'what's the point'?. I also have S-Types and 2 lightnings previously to my current one, and would agree with him that the tuning range is narrow, even if the wind range is superb on both.

The Tush XR is designed to have travel in the downhaul - it is designed for the race board, and course racing, where going downwind 'deep and baggy' is still the fastest VMG in sub-planing conditions. In breeze anything this quick should probably be heated up sailing angles- something that has become quite common place in sailboat racing over here since fixed pole kites made a mainstream appearance. And i'd be hanging on to my 9.5 into wind speed I would otherwise be on less than 6m on a 100L FSW... so it needs to blade off too.

So when the time comes, I plan to replace my Lightning (a freeride sail) with a race sail. I have basically three choices- Severne, Tushingham or Demon. Starboard used to do a Phantom sail too- but it is no longer available. A cheap option is an RS:X second hand sail, but this suffers in light wind according the research I have done. Lightwinds is where this purchase is aimed at, so that's a no then.

I will pick the demon- in part because Matthew has been more than helpful on here, but primarily because I understand the product is superior. So yes, I will change brand- thanks for the endorsement and the opportunity to clarify that the Demons are perceived to be a far superior sail than the Tushingham with a lot of folks I've talked to about it.
    Last edited by Jimmy Grooverider; 30th January 2014 at 09:18 AM.

longboarding is the new grooveriding

[QUOTE

I will pick the demon- in part because Matthew has been more than helpful on here, but primarily because I understand the product is superior. So yes, I will change brand- thanks for the endorsement and the opportunity to clarify that the Demons are perceived to be a far superior sail than the Tushingham with a lot of folks I've talked to about it.[/QUOTE]

I am hoping to obtain a 9.5m for my long board, and my research confirms what you have found, that the Demon is now the preferred sail. It has gradually displaced the Tushingham.

Sadly it would appear that the Demon sails rarely appear on the second hand market.

It is a shame that Severne do not offer the NCX as a 9.5. I really like my 8m NCX but on ultra light wind days it would be good to have a larger option.

Quote Originally Posted by AJE View Post
    [QUOTE

I will pick the demon- in part because Matthew has been more than helpful on here, but primarily because I understand the product is superior. So yes, I will change brand- thanks for the endorsement and the opportunity to clarify that the Demons are perceived to be a far superior sail than the Tushingham with a lot of folks I've talked to about it.
    I am hoping to obtain a 9.5m for my long board, and my research confirms what you have found, that the Demon is now the preferred sail. It has gradually displaced the Tushingham.

Sadly it would appear that the Demon sails rarely appear on the second hand market.

It is a shame that Severne do not offer the NCX as a 9.5. I really like my 8m NCX but on ultra light wind days it would be good to have a larger option.[/QUOTE]

my research found the Severne Longboard Racing sail would also be a good light wind performer. I'm not sure who/how you'd go about getting one, or really if it is actually any better than the Tushy option.

Personally I've no love for that brand, so it doesn't bother me one jot that it's like rocking horse poo... but if you like them, it might be worth asking around. Perhaps they have a sponsored sailor or something who offloads last year's rag?

longboarding is the new grooveriding