Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Forum Crash

This forum is great for 'real world' experience and tips and I've learnt loads from here over the years ranging from little tips on how to load your car to how to handle certain situations. However, kit choice is one of the hardest things to navigate and the advice here is sometimes truly shocking. People will shout about boards and sails that they love or hate. I've fallen for that before and then realised that the person has only been sailing a couple of years and can barely sail. Then you have the opposite end of the spectrum who are stuck in their ways, so you get very little sensible advice from them.
    As you get to know the people on here, you can begin to tailor who you listen to. An example here, I know Billyboy is a good sailor and pay attention to a lot he says, but I also know that his type of sailing and needs from a board are entirely different to mine, so I know that if he says he loves a board that I'm likely to dislike it. Or that JWBrace (is that Yellow welly?) has loves every board he's got until he hates it.
    So it takes a while to dial into it all and unfortunately its a case of buyer beware when listening to advice as well as the actual buying.
    Trying not to work too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by /Vico View Post
    Maybe thats the best way to be on this site .lol . And see no evil speak no evil aswell. lol . Tell you what i will toe the mag line on kit , I love Ezzy ,RRd are the best ever board ,nothing comes even close . lol . Now stop picking on me . LOL . hows that .

Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    has loves every board he's got until he hates it.
    not really true... I've changed a few boards over the years, but that's just a reaction to finding the type of sailing I'm comfortable with, and to some extent accepting (and better understanding) the prevailing conditions I sail them in.

It's taken a while to figure it out that I essentially have two quivers- one for coastal sailing, one for inland sailing. Along that road I've made a couple of mistakes- often based on advice on here and some marketing bullshit, especially when falling victim to a re-invented wheel. By far the best advice has been on the beach, or on email. The latter would not have been possible without initial contact here, so I totally agree it takes time to dial-in to those who you can trust, or at least feel has been in a similar position.

FWIW- I wouldn't say I've hated any board though... to hate a board it would need to put me off windsurfing. None have done that, I've just chipped them in quick whilst there's still some value in them and used that value to either focus in a different direction, or accept limitations in my sailing and/or prevailing conditions.
    Last edited by Jimmy Grooverider; 18th December 2013 at 04:37 PM.
    Fanatic Hawk 135L, Witchcraft Chakra 105L, Fanatic Quad 84L

Tush Lightning 9.4, North S-Types 8.4 and 7.2, North Volts 6.4, 5.9 and 5.3, Goya Wave 4.4

Quote Originally Posted by big wave dave View Post
    No not at all, i want to debate kit and hear opinions but not just shop spill ,advertisers hype etc , If i sail something better than i have i would buy it . I tried Ezzy because alot of people at my local beach was raving about them , tried them dont like them . Same with RRD tried lots of boards like two out of maybe 20 i tried ,bought 94lt fsw ,sail it for 6 months not as good as JP fsw so went back to JP . so whats wrong with that ? only my opinion ? or are you John Skye and ive upset you .
    Nope, I am not John. He has more talent in his gnarled little finger than I have in my whole body windsurfing wise.

As for the comments on kit, que silly voice "it ain't what you do it's the way that you do it".

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Grooverider View Post
    I've changed a few boards over the years, but that's just a reaction to finding the type of sailing I'm comfortable with,
    What he means, is when he is at the beach and asks us, "does my bum look big in this", we always say yes, then he changes the board.
    2014 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 07, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2013 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 21, SUP/WindSUP 04

Cheers Duncan.. Luv you too.

But there's an element of truth there... I think some brands seem to cater better for larger sailors. I'm messing around with my Fatanic at the moment- not enough TOW to love it yet though, I think I need to get to know its personality ;-)
    Fanatic Hawk 135L, Witchcraft Chakra 105L, Fanatic Quad 84L

Tush Lightning 9.4, North S-Types 8.4 and 7.2, North Volts 6.4, 5.9 and 5.3, Goya Wave 4.4