Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Classic weak sea breeze day showing on the Lake cam this afternoon.

It's just after 4pm there and the WSW wind is now dying.

It should kick round to SE within the next hour or so, for a late sail – although tomorrow's wind will be much better.

http://www.cape-town.at/webcam.htm

I'll be there this time next week and I see Monday has a three star southeaster and some good waves for what may be my first day on the sea.
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php...493&sty=m_menu
    Last edited by basher; 30th December 2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Blank space

Well that was right for today, although it didn't really get to 20knots until 7pm – so a classic late one for those sailing until dark.

I see Windguru has changed again. For Sunday there's now a strong southeaster forecast – with a 4m+ @12second swell. Gulp.

#porttackfirstday
    Blank space

I just booked my quiver bag on the Virgin flight today and I see the charge for extra bags has gone up.

It's still a very good deal.
    You get your hand luggage, one suitcase at 23kgs, and then one free board bag at a further 23kgs.
    But a third bag (in my case for sails) costs 55 each way (last year that was 32).

That said, if I get 23+ 23+ 23 = 69Kgs plus hand luggage on the flight for just 55 then I shan't complain.

Some of the guys flew out last night and they said check in was a breeze.
    Last edited by basher; 2nd January 2014 at 01:19 AM.
    Blank space

The January flight sales are in full swing.

A windsurfing friend has just booked a Cape Town flight from Jan 14th to Feb 18th for 757 in the Virgin Atlantic sale. Dates are limited at that price, but that's very good, plus you get to take a board bag for free.

Another friend (not a windsurfer, so no windsurf kit to transport, but he is bringing a triathlon road bike) has a flight with BA booked in Feb for 726.

it's also worth mentioning that the Rand hit a new low against the pound this week, peaking at about 17.4Rand to the . Last year, we paid about 13 Rand to the .

Cheap year to visit the Cape then. Catch it while you can.
    Last edited by basher; 2nd January 2014 at 01:37 AM.
    Blank space

Hey Basher

Been reading the 100+ pages of diaries of previous years as I am counting the days before heading off to Cape Town again this year. Good stuff and thanks for all the sharing.

Sometimes saw you mentioned Buffels bay and Port Elizabeth...could you elaborate a bit on that, did you windsurf it? in what conditions is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by brampk8 View Post
    Hey Basher

Been reading the 100+ pages of diaries of previous years as I am counting the days before heading off to Cape Town again this year. Good stuff and thanks for all the sharing.

Sometimes saw you mentioned Buffels bay and Port Elizabeth...could you elaborate a bit on that, did you windsurf it? in what conditions is it any good?
    I don't think I have mentioned those places much - but will make enquiries, and will post something more.
    As with most countries, different areas have their better seasons.

I'm in Cape Town now, and my flight here with Virgin was very easy and trouble free - just 55 for an extra bag, pre-paid. At the airport, they took my word that all bags were under 23kgs and did not weigh them (in truth, they were indeed under the limit) . But the guy also said, if bags are under 25kgs, then they won't quibble.

I have been running around today, renewing memberships and getting phone and iPad SIM cards. And so I didn't actually sail, even though I saw the wind swing to SE - enough for a late session on a 5m.

Earlier, it was great to find the August floods had not damaged stuff I leave here in the MAC container (at the lake).

Brai (BBQ) welcome with family and old friends tonight.
    Missing the stronger UK wind, maybe?
    Then again.. it's summer here.

I'm moving into my house on Saturday - and then it should blow hard on Sunday.
    Blank space

Well it's all kicking off here. I thought I'd get another quiet day today to sort stuff out, but a big swell turned up yesterday and then got bigger today.
    Yesterday saw no wind but I managed a surf after moving into the house where I will be for the next 8 weeks.
    But today proved to be the big day - after a lame start with thick cloud and light rain.
    We were expecting a cyclonic breeze today but you can never be sure how the mountain will add to that. The wind came in this afternoon way earlier than expected and several - including me - were caught out with other plans for the day. I in fact was running errands all morning, delivering stuff I'd couriered out here, and then i set about strapping up my boards.
    But when the garage door began to rattle at 3pm this came as a surprise.
    i chucked two sails in the car and legged it to the lake, only expecting 5m weather there. By 4pm it was 4m weather. I lasted until about 4.30 on my 4.5, with the water state bouncing my freestyle board into unwanted air.

you have to remember that I'm still convalescing from serious back trouble. But I was pretty pleased to find, though a bit rusty after 12 weeks off the water, it was OK. No damage done except I somehow managed to cut a slot in my big toe.
    So, overpowered, and with no smaller sails, I legged it to Big Bay via the house. Big Bay on a Sunday is never easy nowadays - but it's still school holidays here, so parking was a nightmare.
    the sea was huge too, and I see we have a 4-5m swell here - the big wave surfers have been out at Dungeons, unheard of at this time of year.
    I had better confess straight away, that I didn't sail on the sea today - too big for me in my current physical state, and pretty windy as well.
    Great to watch though. So many pros are here now, and many were at Big Bay after getting blown off the water elsewhere.
    I saw 5 broken masts this afternoon.

The swell tomorrow should be a bit more manageable but we have strong wind forecast this time. Hope it will be sailable for us invalid port tack novices...
    The forecast for the rest of the week is good too. First stop in the morning for me will be the builder centre - for some duct tape for my toe.

As I type this, we have thunder and lightning outside. I know you have big weather at home - but so do we.
    Blank space