Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ross williams laying it down in onshore conditions at 1:11. The other turns are examples of keeping the rig upright to maintain speed:

The best experience for me was to take up snow boarding.
    my great first instructor asked what else we did and I mentioned surfing and windsurfing and she emphasised that leading with the front foot is critical.
    Boy she was right!
    Several painful falls later and it all fell into place.
    thats also paid great dividends with switching stance on the long board.

The best driver however is to get a video of you either wave sailing or gybing.
    if you see your weight move forward in the turn, it just looks and feels right.
    back foot pressure can still be a positive force especially in onshore conditions where you need to hook the board round.
    As always it's the balance of forces that makes the best ride, and that's an eternal search.

pk

I would think that you can practise this technique gybing on flat water. The speeds gybing on flat water should be higher than bottom turning on a wave.

I overheard one of the pro sailors telling someone else that the key to a lay down gybe was to try to look around the front of the mast. I'm a fair way away from doing a lay down gybe by I have found that this helps to get the weight forward on the board and to over sheet the sail which both help you to get the sail lower.
    My Boards: 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l, 2013 Fanatic Gecko 105l