Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Grooverider View Post
    Width is good, to a certain point, then it could begin to hold you back.
    As a perspective buyer of this type of board, this thread has certainly 'informed' me of the target market for such boards....

From my perspective (a progressive beginner, approaching intermediate stage), there seems to be little advantage in purchasing a wide freemove board when I already have a 72cm wide Rocket with more than adequate volume. That said, I have focused on the type of board that would best suit my progression, with little/no overlap with my current board.

I understand that there is a requirement and a market for wide freemoves but I think that it may not be for me.... If I was progressing from beginner kit, then a wide freemove would be well suited. Also, If I was aging, and had trouble with my knees or back, a wide freemove might be a good choice.

In my case, I think that I should be looking for a narrower board with sufficient volume for positive buoyancy (around 95/100L) - perhaps a FSW, as TonyE suggested, which would challenge me and help me progress further, unlike a wide freemove which I will quickly supersede. My Rocket will remain as my low wind and practice board and the narrower 100L will be my high wind board.

If I sailed inland or at a coastal flat water venue i'd have a Firemove as my only board. I think they are just about perfect for that sort of sailing. Mine didn't suit me as I only seemed to go out in windier conditions when the swell and chop picked up on the South Coast, so my narrower boards felt more fun. But reckon I'd choose a Med holiday on the basis of whether the centre used this sort of board, they'd be absolutely awesome in Greek Island type conditions. Sweet on Garda too i'd bet.
    Can't jump, won't jump.

Quote Originally Posted by boards_PaulP View Post
    If I sailed inland or at a coastal flat water venue i'd have a Firemove as my only board..
    maybe coastal- gusty inland, maybe not ;-)
    Fanatic Hawk 135L, Witchcraft Chakra 105L, Fanatic Quad 84L

Tush Lightning 9.4, North S-Types 8.4 and 7.2, North Volts 6.4, 5.9 and 5.3, Goya Wave 4.4

Pretty much what Paul states, I have a Gecko for inland res sailing and flat/light wind coastal sailing, if it blows the FSW comes out to play, with a 4hr round trip to the coast having that mix means I should be covered whatever the wind decides to do on the day.
    Windsurfing days in 2013: 42
    New toys for 2013: 120L Fanatic Gecko 2013

I also have the Gecko as a lighter wind board and a fsw for choppier days. I'm a confirmed intermediate, not a progressing beginner. The difference between the two boards is not skill-related. With the straps in the outer setting on the Gecko, I'd actually say it's slightly more difficult to sail than the fsw.

They are intrinsically different beasts though. I prefer the ride of the Gecko to that of my fsw for anything but the sea. The Gecko is also faster until the chop gets up. I think, as stated, that the decision is between freeride, slalom or bump and jump. The fsw is a bump and jump board, the Gecko is a freeride board. If you want freeride, I don't think there's any reason not to take one of these boards over a classic, narrow freeride board. They seem to me to out-perform the classic boards in every way except perhaps outright speed in the hands of an experienced sailor.
    My Boards: 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l, 2013 Fanatic Gecko 105l