Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

getting more vertical in the bottom turns

what is the secret of going more vertical in the bottom turns in side/side-off conditions?

here are two short vids of "mr. vertical" himself - keith teboul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CLUQPLwtpE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9DgNRmglH8

lots of speed I think, crank it off the bottom and the more speed you carry as you head back up, the tighter you can turn it, and then also speed an momentum would be your friend on exit.

warning - this theory is based on sheer guesswork
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

I think speed is good. Loose boards, with rocker, shorter fins, tail kick, are good.
    Cross off conditions make things much easier (because you keep power, without real wind overcoming apparent wind).

And Yoga. Definitely sign up for Yoga.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

speed is ok. but i mean the technical part of it. sheeting hard in with the back hand, hands wide apart. looking up the wave. and a saw the guys are still edging the internal rail even while preparing for the top turn (i.e. while opening the sail). any other tips?

Quote Originally Posted by freeskiing View Post
    speed is ok. but i mean the technical part of it. sheeting hard in with the back hand, hands wide apart. looking up the wave. and a saw the guys are still edging the internal rail even while preparing for the top turn (i.e. while opening the sail). any other tips?

You can't separate the two. Speed is everything because that keeps the pressure off the sail and lets you surf the board, carving it to where you want to go.
    The more speed you have the later you 'open up' the sail in cross to cross on. The more the wind is cross off, the less you need to open up the sail.

The first bit is sheeting in hard: apparent wind (on the nose, from your speed) lets you do this, and the back hand transfers that load to the inner rail.
    If you crank hard enough - and keep the speed – you then go vertical.
    The real wind still catches up with you and you then need to open up the sail. It's a momentary thing. Opening up the sail then releases the back hand – and that releases the load on the inner rail, to allow you to weight the windward rail to crank the top turn.

Top tip is to visualise this. Your mind is a split second ahead of what your body is doing, so your body follows what your mind anticipates.
    Last edited by basher; 17th October 2013 at 11:02 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Don't over think it. If it's side off, just commit and keep driving. You'll naturally start opening up a bit.
    I learned to commit the hard way, by getting annihilated. In logo high waves, I would miss judge the timing, and start my bottom turn a fraction too late. The lip would start throwing and I would come off pressure in the bottom. Then the lip would just destroy me. I learned that if you go fully vertical when you feel like running away, you'll survive. At worst, you'll go out the back, But if you commit again on the top, you'll get chucked back off the lip so hard you'll be addicted for the rest of your life!
    My advice is just keep going and don't worry about it, you'll just go out the back the first few times.
    Oh... And great advice on speed.
    PS.. Yea, look straight up the wave, not down the line. You go where you look. Plus do this off the top, look down.
    Last edited by Flyfish; 18th October 2013 at 05:09 AM.

I think that if you delay your bottom turn a fraction and bring it out a tiny bit more into the flats it will give you more time and angle to get up the face a bit more vertical.
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."