Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Galicia

Thanks Jamie and Navagente! I have become I a little bit obsessed looking at spots in Galicia! Eering towards the northern part near Ferrol. Looks like it has a lot of really nice spots and hopefully a seabreeze. Camping as cabazas looks really nice and right on one of the windsurfing beaches I think!!

Been there a few times, last time for July for local friend's wedding. Doninos and San Xurxos are probably you're best bet for a proper wave sail. Loredo is a nice spot, long sandy beach for a surf or kite session and good for families as well. They've unfortunately been hit hard by recession and the place is cheap as chips. Eat like a kind for not much...but be careful with spot selection, it's very similar to Ireland in that although close on a map it takes edge to drive from one beach to another. Also quite known, especially in the summer time, that you should not leave stuff on roof of car/van overnight.
    Also it's a short drive to Moledo or Viana do Castello in Portugal which are also worth a sail in a NE....

I have been with the family in the van for the last 2 summer holidays.
    As Cabazas camping is at San Xurxo and is a nice site.
    The sailing was sublime in a SW at san Xurxo, the wave was quick and throwing. However in the more common NE of summer I thought the conditions were fairly average, bit choppy and too sideshore compared to the oh so good sw days. BUT the sailing spot is just beautiful , the whole area is beautiful. To the south of San Xurxo ( 10 minutes) is Doninos for very high quality surf and it was always bigger at Doninos than san Xurxo when we were there. To the North ( 10 minutes) Is ponzos, which is another gorgeous beautiful sailing spot. Ferrol is 20 minutes away if you need water for the van there is a free place to empty your loo and fill up with water mail me and ill get GPS co ordinates for you.
    A coruna is definetly worthj a visit, have a wander late at night, eat well, enjoy the atmosphere, its a magical city.

Galicia is a very special place, just go.

san xurxo pic. this was a fairly typical size the last 2 trips in July/august, wasit to chest high. think we had one day of logo.
    Last edited by matthewb; 19th March 2015 at 09:28 PM.

Wow, thanks for all your responses. Nice pic Mathew! It looks fantastic and really hope I can go! Whats it like for beginner kiters? I read here http://www.wannakitesurf.com/spot/Eu...cia/San_Jorge/ that it maybe okay at the onshore end? Only worry is that it would be great for me but not so good for them- but isn't there an estuary in Ferrol that some kiters use? Is San Xurxo walking distance from the campsite? It looks like on the maps on their website that it is the next bay around? Or do people sail from the campsite beach?

Would be staying in tents as don't have a van sadly. Whats the general kit for the summer? I have either 69 or 84 litre boards and sails 3.7- 4.7 at roughly 70kg. Also have a 5.3 but no mast for it... maybe needed?

All this talk is putting me off my GCSE revision!!
    Last edited by jackoboi; 19th March 2015 at 09:48 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	11699
    La Lanzada area. There are several spots in the tip of the peninsula.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	14 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	11700Click image for larger version. 

Views:	10 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	11701
    Port do Son area also several spots.

Lots of Kiters at San Xurxo as well as windsurfers - you walk onto the beach from the campsite and up to the launch spot (quite a way to be fair but everyone does it). There are three beeches you can sail from - Doninos, San Xurxo and Santa Comba which last year had a lot of kites out. There is also Ponzoz but this is mainly surfing and pretty full on. It is also a nudist beach.

Like Mathew I go every year and love it - water is cold tho and last year was particularly cold - so make sure you have a decent summer suit.

Thanks guys. Decided on the north around San Xurxo I take it big wave kit is the stuff to take? Or are people regularly sailing 4.2s etc in the summer?