Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Here's a bit more cut and paste with kiting news.

"The organisation was also into the action:The french Record Holder Sébastien Cattelan, double World Record Holder impressed the crowd with most of his runs above 52 knots and end up with a 53 knots not checked yet, followed by the South African Record Holder Taro Niehaus who reached 50.93 kts and Marc Antoine Martin with 49.16 kts."

I make no apologies for copying the incorrect spelling of names of people I don't know.
    (Although I have met Seb several times in Cape Town. Nice guy.)

Here's the forecast link again:
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=107373&sty=m_menu

If that forecast is right then there is good wind all week this week, with the exception of Monday. And today sees the highest wind peak late afternoon.
    More records should fall today. Hope everyone involved finishes the day intact and safe.
    Last edited by basher; 13th October 2013 at 06:58 AM.
    Blank space

Here's the Luderitz site report from yesterday, with more pics.
    8 national records broken.

http://luderitz-speed.com/2013/day-2-8-records
    Blank space

2pm, Sunday.

And the records are falling again this afternoon.
    Windsurfing top speed so far is over 46 knots, and Seb has broken 55knots on his kite.

How fast can they go today?

And when does Albeau arrive?
    Blank space

4.30pm
    They have closed the course relatively early today - apparently because the wind is still strong but gusty, and so frustrating those wanting consistency in their speed runs.

But more national and personal records have been pushed further today, with some windsurfers breaking 47knots.
    No newcomers to the elite 50knot club yet though.

More strong wind expected from Tuesday onwards.
    Blank space

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    No newcomers to the elite 50knot club yet though.
    Well that's wrong isn't it, here's a few words from Tony Wynhoven who had a peak speed over 50 knots today and got a new Australian record

Sorry if this is not legible.. I need food and rest... Wow!!! Luderitz at its finest!! Today I started with the 5.8 Koncept on the 41 Mistral (only board I have here anyway) and 21.5 KA/Lockwood assy. I stuggled a bit on the first few runs and felt like I was hitting a "max out wall" in the high 46 peaks and 44-45 10 secs. The wind was picking up so I grabbed the 5.4 Koncept. Apart from Daffy doing a run on it the other day it was brand new. The speeds were a touch higher but still dissapointing. It was time to separate me from my security blanket - the 21.5 assy. I fitted the 20 KA/Lockwood Assy and the next run was in 50+ knots of wind. It felt just like its 21.5 cm brother but faster! I hit the end of the run and saw 50.01 knot peak on the dial... woohoo.. I beat every one of my pb's in one run the next run saw my 5x10 pb fall. It was a bit slower. Then the timing gates were closed for the day. The yet to be confirmed 500 on the ratified course was 47.23 New Aus record and only .08 slower than the fastest guy of the day (French). The times will be officially ratified tonight so stay tuned. No sailing for the next 2 days Fastest run : Ka Koncept 5.4 2014, Mistral 41 2013, KA assy 20.
    bye
    Alastair
    IRL-250

www.irl-250.blogspot.com

KA Sails (www.kasails.com)
    Mistral (www.mistral-boards.com)
    Chinook (www.chinooksailing.com)
    Spartan Wetsuits (www.spartanwetsuits.com)
    Vector Maui Fins (www.vectorfins.com)
    Wind and Wave (www.windandwave.ie)

Windsurfingfins (www.windsurfingfins.co.uk)
    Rockerline Surfware (www.rockerline.com)

Must be fantastic to be there.

So exciting to watch.

But the speed records are not just peak times are they?
    How is speed measured here to become ratified as a record?

Is the timing an average taken over the 500m course, or is it a sustained speed in knots over say a one minute period?

I guess the GPS records speak for themselves, with both peaks and averages – but aren't they using a timers hut here at Luderitz? (I don't know actually, so perhaps someone who does can explain for all.)

Here are the records from last year, and the elite fifty knot club I was referring to:
    http://luderitz-speed.com/2012/speed...tempt-windsurf

Whereas the new Australian record is now 47.23knots – or will be once ratified.

And it sounds like the guy will go faster still, of they get the conditions as last year.
    Last edited by basher; 13th October 2013 at 06:49 PM.
    Blank space

A average speed over a 500m course is what they use to ratify a record. Cameras at the start and finish gates are used to record the speeds, so the time it takes to travel between the 2 cameras is then converted into the recorded speed.

But most if not all the guys are also using their own personal GPS units so they know what their peak speeds which is higher than the speed over 500m

I would consider the 50 knot club and so would most people to be anyone that achieves a speed over 50 knots which is a massive achievement, not just the guys getting 50 knot 500m speeds Basher!!!!
    Alastair
    IRL-250

www.irl-250.blogspot.com

KA Sails (www.kasails.com)
    Mistral (www.mistral-boards.com)
    Chinook (www.chinooksailing.com)
    Spartan Wetsuits (www.spartanwetsuits.com)
    Vector Maui Fins (www.vectorfins.com)
    Wind and Wave (www.windandwave.ie)

Windsurfingfins (www.windsurfingfins.co.uk)
    Rockerline Surfware (www.rockerline.com)