Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The main thing to do is this: stay low

When you come up on the board do not come all the way up. stay low and hang off the boom a bit to get steady using your body weight to control the power, then when you feel in control hook in from that low position.

I think the comments already posted sum it up pretty well. its about finding what works best for you.

I tend to waterstart two footed in strong conditions and stay as low as possible. Its easy to practise two footed waterstarts in the comfort of shallow water.

All good tips as far as I can see. One other thing to consider is the movement of the board in the water. Any forward movement of the board you can create before fully getting up and over the board, will reduce the power felt in the sail. So I try to get the board moving before lifting my front leg onto the board.

Everyone develops their own way of doing things with time but I think it is worth pointing out that water starting with both feet on the board has its dangers as well!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post
    You can also do a two-footed waterstart where you have both feet on the board but not in the straps
    I usually put my front foot straight into the strap when waterstarting in strong winds, and sometimes both feet in the straps, especially quick if I've plopped in backwards due to rip or spinout etc.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

DESTRUCTION LOG:
    - Discontinued :-)

“As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!!”

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    Everyone develops their own way of doing things with time but I think it is worth pointing out that water starting with both feet on the board has its dangers as well!
    Yup, don't risk it. Stay in bed.
    Here to paste about windsurfing, and anything else that piques my interest.

try starting in the foot straps. do not get too upright at once

What I do is keep the rig low until you've positioned the board (downwind), then put your back foot on and try to get the board moving as fast as possible by sliding it along. Hook in as early possible, then when putting your front foot on, really try to drive it forwards. It's what has worked for me but its all practise never tried the feet in the straps waterstart though.