Default harness type and line length..

Hi all.
    I mentioned in another post that I use both harnesses but more often a seat.
    I do not change my lines (28) but lower the boom to make it easier to hook in.
    With the waist, the boom is just in the top third of the cut out , with the seat it is
    probably in the middle. Any higher and I sometimes don't get out quick enough
    and get caught.
    Mikerb said go with one and get more proficient.
    If I stay with the seat should I get longer lines and keep the boom higher or does
    lowering the boom have the same effect. I am 175cms.
    I have to say once I rig for the conditions , I just go. My skill level does not allow
    me to pick subtle differences in board control so I don't alter the mast foot etc,
    keeping it at the recommended position.

Many thanks.

I'm 2cm taller than you and use waist harness with 28" lines, my booms is usually in the middle of the cutout - I prefer a low boom.
    I think whether you like a low or high boom is personal preference, but I find a lower boom amounts to better control and is more comfortable for me. This is when using small sails (5.3 down), I don't have any freeride or slalom gear.

If the boom is too low you end up with too much weight on the feet and it affects early planing, too high and I feel I can't use my front foot effectively.

I'd say stick with the waist harness and setup you have now, once you're used to the waist harness you can try get that boom up and put longer lines on and see how it feels.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

DESTRUCTION LOG:
    - Discontinued :-)

“As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!!”

On the Boards news page there's an excellent picture of an RSX sailor, using the seat harness most prefer for that windsurfer.

http://boards.mpora.com/features/the...n-dempsey.html

It's worth checking out the picture however as the camera angle shows the sailors stance well, and his harness line length. The picture also suggests that if the sail wore a waist harness, then the distance from boom to harness hook would be greater - needing longer lines for the waist harness.

So you can't always assume you need longer lines for a seat harness. When I sail big kit, I use shorter lines than when on a wave board with small sails.

What actually happens with big kit versus small sail sailing is that your stance should change to suit the gear you are on. The smaller the gear, the longer the harness lines may need to be.

But there are no written rules about this, so best experiment with line length, along with different boom heights.

On a short board, best starting point is to put the mast foot centre track. Try the boom in the centre of the cutaway or just above (higher if you are tall) Then use adjustable harness lines and find which line length is comfortable with the harness you are using. When hooked in, planing along, the boom should be somewhere in front of you, at chest or shoulder height.
    Blank space

It is so dependant on the size and style of the sailor, from Short intermediates with obviously oversize harnesses and too Short lines like this underhand step gyber..

to consummate professionally longer line lengths of this obviously well experienced racing type..

Long and swinging is the correct answer.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by Reddeer View Post
    Hi all.
    I mentioned in another post that I use both harnesses but more often a seat.
    I do not change my lines (28) but lower the boom to make it easier to hook in.
    With the waist, the boom is just in the top third of the cut out , with the seat it is
    probably in the middle. Any higher and I sometimes don't get out quick enough
    and get caught.
    Mikerb said go with one and get more proficient.
    If I stay with the seat should I get longer lines and keep the boom higher or does
    lowering the boom have the same effect. I am 175cms.
    I have to say once I rig for the conditions , I just go. My skill level does not allow
    me to pick subtle differences in board control so I don't alter the mast foot etc,
    keeping it at the recommended position.

Many thanks.
    My advice would be to set your boom height and harness line length primarily to achieve 2 things. First to enable you to adopt a sailing stance that enables you to command the rig rather than it bullying you! That means being far enough outboard to be able to apply maximum leverage and not be pulled up over the board. Second, your stance should enable you to transmit the drive from the sail through your feet against the windward rail. At your height the boom is likely to be about the middle of the cut out assuming you are using the correct extension setting and very small variations from there will provide a very big difference in feel. Your lines ( if they are 28"....don't trust what it says on the label) should be fine.
    You are always likely to find you can get caught "strung up" by the lines if you stay in the harness with the mast upright, especially with big sails. You need to predict when that could happen and get out of the harness beforehand, rather than setting your boom height just to avoid that circumstance.

Thanks for all replies. Will take it all on board. Forgive the pun.