Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Antigua report

Default Antigua report

So after studying wind statistics and google earth I thought Long bay Antigua held some promise. Some people said there wouldn’t be much wind but I went with the wind stats. All credit to my wife who identified the room nearest the water and we requested it and got it, she measured it - 12 paces from our bedroom door to the sea! You could hear the waves in our room. This did have a down side - due to my lack of self control I sailed 2 or 3 sessions every day and prity much exhausted myself every day and was certainly good for nothing by 9pm each evening. I expected the trade winds to pick up mid morning and die at tea time but they blew 15 – 20 kts day and night, day in day out.I sailed 24 times. To qualify as a separate session I will have come in, got changed, done something else before going back out again. I was on either my 6.7 or 6.0, lighter sailors would have been fine on 5.8/5.3. There was a bad wind shadow on the beach so the first 100m was very wobbly until you were out through a narrow gap in the coral reef then it was blasting about on the swell. The swell was about 2 - 2.5m further out. It did occasionally break on deeper parts of the reef but not consistently.The trip highlighted how having the right kit can make such a difference. A slightly floaty board and a powerful sail make all the difference. A lot of people would choose freeride kit but with my 6.7 which weighs 3kg and is lighter than most 5 meter sails I could still get that wave board feeling and get planing. Traditional FSW boards while being very good – if you want to use a big sail on them it normally means using a bigger fin which often changes the nature of the board completely making it feel stiff and very freeridey. That is where the big multi fins come in, you can use a bigger sail and the board maintains its playful nature.All in all I’d certainly recommend Antigua for a family windsurfing trip.http://youtu.be/f80MOefZ3KI

Wow, lovely water.. those coral heads look a bit worrying but I guess you can see them from far off?
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

DESTRUCTION LOG:
    - Discontinued :-)

“As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!!”

Nice report, Sailrepair.
    24 sessions in how many days?

Here's the video embedded.

Yes, you can see the coral heads but not half way round a gybe. I took spare fins but didn't need them.

24 sessions in 13 days. If you wanted you could sail 6am till 6.30pm just about every day. No other windsurfers apart from the hotel pool lifeguard who was super happy, he had never sailed with anyone before.

Nice report! Thanks!

Excellent. The sail looks great too. Especially the blue stuff in the Antiguan sun. Good job.
    "Kiting's fine, but it ain't windsurfing"

I like Antigua, came very close to buying a little apartment and boat mooring a few years back, I wish I had, I'd bugger off over there. I learned to kitesurf out there, can't say I ever came across any really challenging windsurf type spots, like that nice reef I found on Barbados many years previous, but in all other respects I think it's if not the, then certainly one of the nicest islands in the Caribbean, spent a few days in English harbour as part of a boys blue water hottie cruise.

There was a windsurf centre which was for sale at the time, (1999-0) I often wonder what became of it, last time I went back I stuck to the south end of the island so never really found out what happened to it.

Looks like you got lucky with the wind bigfish, I can't say I've ever been there when it's been that consistent, hence taking kites, they provide more reliable get out on the water time than boards, think the last windsurf board I sailed there was a Flow 266 we had on the boat.

Nice report, thanks for posting.