Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default large freestyle boards

On the market there are many freestyle board (fanatic, Jp, F2, Tabou...etc)...only some factories have a freestyle board for heavy riders (>110 lt...for >95-100 kg)...
    I saw the Naish freestyle 115 (237x68), the witchcraft Chakra 118 (236x69) and the Starboard Flare 116 (242x68)...
    Anybody have these large freestyle boards? do you use them as a freeride or as a freestyle board (vulkan, spock)?
    I Tried one time the Naish 115 2012 and it feel slower in start planning than my skate 109 and probably less fast...I want to try the flare 116 2013 (is different from the 2012? wood carbon 2012? full carbon 2013?)...any of you got it?
    I am searching for a large freestyle board for the summer light wind of my spot...I don't want a freeride, but a board that have good manouvrabilty, plane early and that can be used for od school freestyle and some vulkans/spock...to be used with sail from 6.2 6.7 7.0...
    bye

I will share my thoughts, which really do not give you the exact answer you are looking for, but I may be of a little help. I am much bigger (107kg), and I tried a lot of the larger production FS boards a while back. I could not get any to really work in very light wind. I had to go custom. I have a 124 liter Danny Aeberli made me 232 X 69.5cm. I LURVE IT. It is a one board solution for me, except waves. I have a 112 liter Quatro 231X64cm quad for that. I tried a Naish Freestyle 115 which was the biggest at the time. It was not floaty enough and did not feel like a true FS board to me. The Starboard Flare 116 (which came later) may work for you. It was made for Mattia Pedrani who is my height (6'6"), but fit and a super-talented freestyler. I would email him from his website.

As far as sail size. I used to use a 6.9m2 Echo for a while, but gave up on it. The biggest sail I will use is a 6.3m2 Severne S1. I found it planes just as quick, and the swing weight is so much less, mainly due to the 430 mast. When you go this big, you need to be super efficient. Otherwise, you are freeriding.

I am not a great freestyler, but I do sail a lot of lighter flatwater conditions trying to vulcan whenever possible.

I'm a great believer in excess volume for all things - but who really does freestyle with 7m sails? Come on... Blasting along maybe.

At competitive levels, you'll struggle to see sails that are 5.7 or bigger.

The deal with a freestyle board is you have a fast rocker to plane easily, plenty of excess volume, and then if it's light winds you bag out a small sail.

So 110 litres is the true freestyle board limit, rigged with a 5.7m sail max.
    Blank space

basher: of course is better to do freestyle on a lake or on a flat spot with 25 costant wind and a 100 freestyle board with a 4.7. In my summer spot this condition are unavalaible and I usually go out with a skate 109 TE and a Naish Force 5.7/6.2 or Moto 7. With this combination I learned planning dow/upwind 360, gecko, vulcan...in this way when I am in holiday in a good place, or during the winter (stronger winds) I am able to try spock with smaller sails...probably you are not heavy as me (191cmx95kg) and the member "wsurfing" (107)...but for sure you can do some easy freestyle also with bigger sails and I feel that on the market there is the lack of a big freestyle board..
    wsurfing: thanks for your reply. I am very interested in your custom board!!!
    can you send some pictures to my mail? As you my most used sail is Force 6.2 and in waves I use Fanatic FW105 and Quad 101..

Yet again Basher your making the mistake of equating the size of sail you'd use as a light weight as the maximum size anyone else would use. The rules are different for bigger people.

I have a friend who is a very good sailor, about 78kg, and can spock with his '10 98liter Rodeo and 6.0m2 Echo. That is his super lightwind set-up.

As I tried to say, for me, the threshold seems to be the 430/6.3m2 S1 combo. I also tried a 6.7 Maui Sails Ghost with MS100 460, but the rig was just a little too heavy and the boom a touch too long to throw around. I can do it, I just felt the extra 0.4m2 was just not worth the swing weight.

I really don't have a great photo of my board, but you can get an idea of how it goes in marginal light wind lake conditions with my 6.3m S1 from my last gopro. It is just two unedited clips (boring), with one freeze frame on the lame starboard vulcan attempt. You will have to use you imagination, and pretend what a skilled sailor could do with it. Trust me, it pops great. It is the driver not the car. I run a 22cm Starfish B72 in it. Danny is a hero of mine for making it for me.

https://vimeo.com/69127992

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I'm a great believer in excess volume for all things - but who really does freestyle with 7m sails? Come on... Blasting along maybe.

At competitive levels, you'll struggle to see sails that are 5.7 or bigger.

The deal with a freestyle board is you have a fast rocker to plane easily, plenty of excess volume, and then if it's light winds you bag out a small sail.

So 110 litres is the true freestyle board limit, rigged with a 5.7m sail max.
    I'm sticking with this - sorry if you don't want to hear it.
    You don't see people doing freestyle on 7m sails.

Van Broeckhoven is one of the heavier guys on the tour. He uses a 5.5 as his biggest, but goes up to a 110 volume board for that.

I appreciate some sail in light winds, but this is about planing thresholds, and about what sort of manoeuvre you can do with a big sail.
    When it's really light, if you can't plane and spin with a 6m sail then you won't with a 7m either.

That's not to say you can't put a 7m sail on a freestyle board - you can, but you won't be doing spinny moves with that size of sail.
    Blank space