Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Hi Spammy,
    Not quite sure how to take you. Followed this post from the beginning and you appear keen to improve ,ask the right questions and keep us informed as to progress which is all good.
    But when long time ,knowledgable ,experienced windsurfers such as Silicon Beach ,Basher etc suggest lessons to correct current isssues and then take you to the next step, you seem to think forums and DVD's will do it for you.
    I am a good ,maybe very good intermediate and did all the things you are doing when I started. But I took the advice regarding lessons. Not many ,but enough to put me on the right track and it made a huge difference in developing my skills, my understanding of the more subtle points, and of course enjoyment. While not a natural I am sports orientated and play a number of other sports pretty well and benefited from lessons there as well.
    This is not meant to be criticism but I would like to read about how you are working on planning in the straps, carve jibes and bump and jumps. Unless you are an exceptional talent this will happen much faster with lessons. IMHO.

Guy, I know that the advice offered is backed by many many years of experience in the sport and is well meant! Your advice is much appreciated and I thank you sincerely.

I shall book some 2hr 1:1 training sessions commencing this week to get me through the harness, footstrap and planing stages.

Best Regards,
    Sam

Guys, I have tried to get a booking with a suitably qualified instructor but have had to wait until today (Thursday) for a L2 instructor to be on duty. I will have to cancel the appointment as now there is no wind (2mph)!

I went out windsurfing yesterday and happen to meet with a fellow member who has 30 years experience in the sport. Also, his wife is a L4 instructor. Well, here is the verdict:

• Got some tips on improving my beachstart and faster tacking.
    • Not much wrong with my stance or technique except that I am compensating for an inadequate fin. I contacted Choco fins and they recommend that at my weight and board/sail combo, they recommend a Spirit Pro 40cm.
    • I am getting along very well and have had rapid progress. Donít need an instructor. Get help from fellow members.
    • I have the boom set too high. Lower the boom which will assist in progression into the harness.

I will continue to record my progress so it may be of benefit to other newbies and beginners.

Be careful not to lower the boom too much either. Anything from about nipple to shoulder hight is probably OK (boom clamp when stood on the board next to the mast). Too low and it will cramp your stance and make it harder to get planing. As you say, too high and it makes getting into the harness more difficult.

Did your friend look at your harness / lines - to check where you have positioned them for instance ? What length lines are you using ? and what type of harness (waist or seat ?). The modern set up is to use a waist harness with quite long lines (anything from say >28" - I use 32") which promotes an upright stance. Racers on the other hand tend to use a seat harness, slightly shorter lines, and a more angulated stance.
    two boards, five fins, y posiblemente un poco de viento esta semana
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic book: Nobody's Poodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    House & Apartment for sale

Admittedly, my boom height has been creeping up as I tend to load the boom in order to get more speed and it seems that itís now near chin height and as you say, should be around nipple to shoulder height which would help me in getting into the harness more easily at this stage and as I was also told, I would be more able to unhook if I found myself getting catapulted. He had a look at my harness lines and also told me about setting them in the sweet spot for each sail - also showed me how to balance it.

I have a waist harness and adjustable 26í harness lines. I was unable to stay hooked in yesterday, as the wind was too low to sheet in with my 5.4m Severn Convert. I will have to start carrying more sails in order to rig the correct sail for the conditions. I like using the Convert as it is only 3.8Kg and extremely durable, easy to sail and very forgiving. I am looking forward to trying out my Ezzy Legacy 7.5m weighing in at only 4.14Kg - wow!

I placed an order for the Choco Spirit Pro 40cm but they are out of stock and I will have to wait a couple of weeks for it to be delivered.

All sounds good re boom and harness lines, and the bigger sail will definitely be generating a lot more power to harness (expect a few catapults). A 7.5m is quite big, and also quite a big gap to your 5.4m, you might well find that you want to get something around 6.5m as well (welcome to the 'Endless Summer' of new toy purchases that windsurfing brings with it )
    two boards, five fins, y posiblemente un poco de viento esta semana
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic book: Nobody's Poodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    House & Apartment for sale

Hi Silicon Beach,

I have a 6.4m Goya Nexus which I plan to use during my next session on the water. A powerful sail with a good locked in feel but a tad heavy at 4.7Kg.
    Last edited by spammy; 23rd August 2013 at 08:50 AM.