Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sorry Nico - I thought you were referring to the multi-string monos of the late 90's.

anyway, I stand by that not a lot is known about these maxis without ballast yet... and entrapment was always going to be known risk. Ref death by trap entanglement, the last one I heard of was on Kielder, maybe a couple of years back. Before that it was Abersoch iirc.

Tragic news - I remember Andrew being featured a lot in the London Olympics coverage.

http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/...cident-in-u-s/

From that, it sounds like they had breathing apparatus, and it would make sense for each sailor to have his own supply.

It may be that was not the case, but from the potential violence of a crash, it would seem helmets would also be advisable, to give a better chance of retaining consciousness.
    EDIT: I have now seen on the News, that they were wearing helmets. It does seem like they had given a lot of thought to safety, but you cant predict everything that could happen.

They will need to review how they check after an accident on who is OK or missing and what could or should be done.

The closest we come is usually being hooked in under the sail with twisted harness lines. You realise then that time is short. Seconds seem a long time and if the 10 minutes being quoted is correct for this accident, its an almost unbelievably long time when there are chase boats etc. on the scene.

We will just have to wait and see what they can be certain of having happened.
    Last edited by boards_ronnie; 11th May 2013 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwlbrace View Post

Lots to digest. I cannot begin to think what the answer is, or really what my opinion is on the whole thing right now. I know the trite 'died doing what he loves' facebook sh*te gets on my tits, just as much as the 'blame Larry and chuck out the AC72' knee-jerk reaction crowd do.

It's a horrid situation for all involved. I remain stunned by the whole thing and despite this post, pretty much speechless.
    But is it a lot to digest? I sail in San Francisco right where these accidents took place and frankly both the AC72 and the AC45 simply do not seem seaworthy. Two capsizes during training in very moderate winds (I was out on both days with a 5.0, 15-20 knots wind) are simply unprecedented for 72 feet boats. I actually cannot remember any boat of such length ever capsizing in closed waters.

Of course the organizers are putting up a barrage of excuses, including the claim that these boats are the fastest ever designed and therefore the unavoidable risks. Claim that is arguably false and hides the fact that the boats are simply unstable and dangerous because of their design, not the speed they reach.

A real shame that somebody had to die for this, but it could have been worse and it can still get worse (think 3-4 of these boats actually racing in 15-20 knots of wind ...). The Cup should be moved to a safer location. San Diego, or the south San Francisco Bay and run with a wind limit of 10-15 knots.
    Last edited by duzzi; 11th May 2013 at 05:48 PM.