Thread: Fin pressure

Default Fin pressure

Had a cracking day on the slalom kit on Saturday. Wind picked up enough to get out on Mistral AB 110SL with a Deb SL1 40 under it. Fin felt good and was giving a really nice foiling feel but creaking quite heavily. Then this happened...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deboichet.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	8006

Two thirds of the fin vanished with a bang leaving a slightly limp layer of carbon with orange on one side. Never seen one go quite like this, anyone experienced similar?

Wow complete delam, I've seen some good banana split impressions and full on snap off at the base of the head but thats a first, good work.

If you bought it new I would suspect that its a manufacturing defect first of all as impact would have sheared the other side as well, was it your first use?
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

Never seen one go like that, as JK says, banana split at the end I have seen but to rip half off must be a manufacturing fault.
    2014 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 15, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 10
    2013 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 21, SUP/WindSUP 04

Thanks chaps! Not first use and bought second hand unfortunately for me. I've only used it around 4 times though.

To be fair I bought it from Dan Ellis so it has probably had a bit of a hard life! I still wouldn't expect it to fail in such a dramatic fashion though.

Maybe g10 would be better for a replacement!!

A 41cm S12 available here, its a good fin. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Select-Eli...#ht_748wt_1255
    2014 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 15, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 10
    2013 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 21, SUP/WindSUP 04